Satin black, whats everyone opinions

rodneypierce

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
Alright guys, the Malibu is getting painted satin black. My question is, what is everyone's opinion on what paint to use. I thought I was sold on the JD Blitz Black, but read through all 29 pages of the thread on the hotrodders.com forums and am now not so sure. Also was looking at the SPI Matte Black.

I want a single stage. But would love to hear everyone's opinions on what paint to use, and pictures would be helpful as well.

Thanks guys!!

NEW2MALIBU

Dragway Regular
Mar 5, 2007
idaho
I used the Blitz Black with the recommended JD primer. Wopping cost of $100.00. I think it's been on there for about 4 years now. No problems at all, but also always garaged.

rodneypierce

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
How is it for scratch resistance? And did you use hardener?

Mine will also be always garaged, and probably very very rarely see rain even to be honest.

NEW2MALIBU

Dragway Regular
Mar 5, 2007
idaho
Mine has never seen rain aside from the occasional drizzle at the track or something. I used the JD hardener and thinner as recommended. Instead of mixing 8 to 1 we mixed 9 to 1. The JD primer is yellow and took a day to get hard enough to sand without it clumping on the sandpaper. No problems with scratching. I've never done anything to the paint other than wash it.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
I've always been a big fan of sem's hot rod black,it has a little more of a sheen to it than the
blitz black,it looks a lot less spray can flat like than the blitz black does.all the pictures i have aren't any good they just look like a semi gloss black that won't hold a reflection if that makes any sense.i like it better than using the semi gloss clear.it's a good straight forward kit,directions rite there with it,it's got the color,reducer and hardener all in one kit.

jmerc

Amateur Racer
Sep 23, 2009
staten island, ny
cant go wrong with the JDBB I used it on my 85 monte ss 4 years ago and its still holding up great. used 8 to 2 with my reducer because it just looked a bit to thick for me.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!