Door shell

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I have purchased a new door shell for the elk and would like to get tips on the order of removal when gutting out the old door. What are some things that need notes taken to get these parts installed correctly in the new shell?

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
You'll want to loosely install the up-stops in the new door after installing the glass. Then, you raise the glass until it gets a good seal on the roofrail weatherstrip and tighten the up-stops.

Aside from that, it's pretty much a strightforward remove and install swap.

I find it easier to install the outside handle before anything else goes into the new door.

This is a good time to clean and lube evrything as well. For the door latch assembly, I soak it in a carburetor dip for a few hours, then spray the internals liberally with a penetrating type grease after a good cleaning with brake cleaner. Kent Industries penegrease works for me, but can be tough to find unless you have access to a body shop or service facility that buys from them.

DonM

Dragway Regular
May 29, 2003
Twin Cities, Minnesota
78elk said:
I have purchased a new door shell for the elk and would like to get tips on the order of removal when gutting out the old door. What are some things that need notes taken to get these parts installed correctly in the new shell?

By new door shell do you mean new. If so where did you get it? I purchased two new door shells from Rock Auto about a year ago and love the quality of them. What are your thoughts?

DonM

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!