Wheel tubs

Strokin

Daily Driver
Aug 30, 2014
Doing my first backhalf. I get conflicting info on how to attach wheel tub to quarter panel. Welded or sealer? On a Monte Carlo ss. Also any ideas on trunk hinge? Just move them in?

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
go with the seam sealer it won't absorb moisture like the silicone will.

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
DO NOT WELD! You will warp the quarter panels, even if you do body work it will show some time down the road.

Fit the tubs to have a 1/8" to 1/4" gap from the edge of the tube to the inside of the quarter panel. Do not fit the tub tight against the quarter panel.

We use urethane seam sealer. Put tape on one side and apply a bead to the opposite side, allow to dry, then remove the tape and apply a bead to the opposite side. Trapping the edge of the tub between two beads is the strongest method.

Strokin

Daily Driver
Aug 30, 2014
So welding tubs to the inner skin or old tub isn't an option? Or is there not enough left?

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
Strokin said:
Thank you, really helpfull. Any thoughts on hinges?

If you just do the inner wheel well all you need to do is remove the factory hinge brace and make a new one to attach to the squared off fabricated inner tub.

If you do a full tub then you may need to modify the hinge depending on how high you mount the tub.

Strokin

Daily Driver
Aug 30, 2014
Ya it's a full tub, 33 x19.5x15. So pretty sure tub will be to tall.

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
Your either gonna need to fabricate a custom hinge, or like myself I removed the hinges completely and went to a fiberglass deck lid that is attached with dzus fasteners.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!