Fresh paint chip repairs

prostreet66

Dragway Regular
Oct 18, 2008
waterloo iowa
I had my chevelle painted last winter. Ive been slowly working at putting it together. Im really careful but still have a couple minor chips from installing window felts and other parts.... are these paint pens with clear coat on the ends a ok deal? What do you all use?

Macrisel

Weekend Racer
Nov 11, 2016
Southeast Missouri
If you have any paint left over from you re-paint, use it. If you had a shop do the paint job, go back and see if they have any of YOUR paint left over they will give you. Even if you have the paint code for your color, there will still be some minor color differences between mixes...

As far as the touchup goes, I like to use a q-tip dipped in the base color to GENTLY fill in the chips. As long as the chip is not all the way through the primer to bare metal, you should be fine. I usually don't worry about clear coat on small chips because it is very hard to smooth it to match the rest of the paint job.

When you are test fitting parts and assembling, I like to use tape on all the edges to help mitigate scratches and chips. This works especially well on putting fenders and doors on.

Good luck and don't stress too much on the chips. They just let people know you actually drive the car!

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
^^^Well said. Exactly my thoughts :)

prostreet66

Dragway Regular
Oct 18, 2008
waterloo iowa
Thanks for the reply. The couple of small chips i have are from installing the window sweeps and side stainless. I couldnt use tape on these spots sadly. I have base left but I figured i would need to dab some clear on it. I wish photo bucket would let me post pics not sure what's up with their site lately. It makes me sick they i have these chips maybe I shouldn't worry so much.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!