how to prep/clean metal?

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
I'm doing a frame-off restoration on a non-g body vehicle. I've got a few questions for the experienced about the chemicals I should be using.
I've been grinding with an angle grinder wire brush and getting the metal nice and shiney but it does seem as if some of the paint/rubber coating has worn into the metal. I need to clean this metal before any type of sealant or primer, correct? What would be the recommended metal cleaner to remove anything that has gotten into the pores of the metal?
Also, is there any local chemical that is simply a rust prevention for when I have to take breaks from the car? I dont want a bunch of flash rust but I also want to be able to come back at a later date to continue my work. I saw something they used on a TV show that was clear and in a spray bottle but you have to special order it from a website, I need something like NOW.
Other than that, any advice on what primer would be recommended is greatly appreciated. I'm going to be painting the frame and I've never done anything like this before. Thank you!

rustbuster

Jun 13, 2008
Go to your local auto paint supplier and buy some red scuff pads, a gallon of cheap lacquer thinner, a couple rolls of those blue shop towels, a squirt bottle and some metal conditioner and some chemical resistant gloves like you'r use for furniture stripping.

Use protection - gloves, goggles. Make sure you have adequate ventilation or use a respirator. NO SMOKING.

Using the scuff pads and the thinner go over a panel at a time wiping down as you go with the towels to remove oily residue.
After that drys, read the directions on the metal conditioner and dilute it as required. Again using the scuff pads clean each panel in turn, WIPING off the liquid - don't let it dry on the panel.
The conditioner has phosphoric acid in it which will etch the surface and leave a coating that will discourage rust and give the primer something to grab onto.

Now days you want to use catalized primer. Don't mess around with the stuff that only needs to be thinned it will not provide a good foundation for subsequent layers.

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
thanks very much for your reply. I'm finally almost done getting the paint off. I bought some metal cleaning-type chemical which seemed to work great when I put my wire brush to it but it seemed like I was grinding the dirt back into metal. So it looks like I'll have to get some scuffing pads and make sure I'm not using any dirty towels/rags on it.

Does the primer your talking about come in an aerosol can? I have to put getting a new compressor on hold for the moment so I thought I'd just use some spray can stuff.

:)

larryg

Frequent Racer
Jun 6, 2008
Western Mass
Hmmm. In all these threads it seems to come down to "visit your local supplier" which seems like damn good advice. I'll be needing to do the same thing as my car has ample surface rust but no holes. I dont want it to get worse with winter coming as it will only be in a carport.

I have seen these little cans of aresol that you add to your own mixed paints/primers in a glass bottle. It allows you to spray good quality paints, if you dont have the proper compressor or guns. In the end it may be more expensive than buying the correct equipment, but it still may be less than buying spray cans of dubious products which will have you starting from scratch again. Find that local supplier and listen and see what they recommend. Let them know this is not something you'll be doing often.

Also, I found local paint and auto body shop that repaired a rusted thru fender on my 02 dodge ram. They cut out the arch, welded in a new one (showed me the old piece), used rust preventitive on the back side, sprayed to match my stock blue, all for $300. Other shops had quoted up to $900. I honestly can not tell where they sprayed and where they didnt, a very nice job and blend. There are guys out there with less overhead and can work within your budget. I plan on doing the prep but may let these guys do the finish paint.

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
yeah I just could have swore there was more information out there. I'm going to be using the Herculiner bedliner on a majority of what I'm dealing with at the moment..the only part that is going to get actual paint is probably the top of the pan ('71 vw beetle). The bedliner is roll-on and I dont think as picky as a regular thin-paint so I'll probably just do as someone else said and clean/scuff the metal and forget about the primer.
as far as the actual painting part...I'll probably have a new compressor by then so I'll be able to get some better products.

gstock8732

Dragway Regular
Jan 21, 2009
Jersey
Yo chillin, that's por stuff is great. A good buddie and me did all the control arms and cradle on his m3. It's is phenominal. You jus have to reelie really clean up the surface well. U can roll it on with a bush or roller whatever. Bu for the best results is spraying IT with a gun. That's what we did. And you can see yourself in it after two nice healthy coats. I will be using it on my frame off 78 boo. That's stuff is the great. The claim that because of it porus or non porus whatver paint properties u can hit it with a hammr and it won't chip. So we tried it. And It is true. U really can. It's expensive. But worth it. If u r dealling with alot of rust. Make sure u get atleast 2 bottles of there metal prep. It's woks great. It takes the rust color right out. Good luck!
G bodys rule.

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
haha thanks, but you're a year too late! I did por-15 on the frame of my beetle and a top coat on top of it. Neither paints are supposed to chip but I definitely got some chipping during install of a couple parts...nothing some touch-up won't fix though.

11-26010.jpg

DSC04425.jpg

I'd definitely use the stuff again.

gstock8732

Dragway Regular
Jan 21, 2009
Jersey
lol, i was on my iphone at work and didnt even notice the date.. #-o

but i glad to hear you had great success!!!! \:D/

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!