Wheel tubs up front...

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
... has anyone done this? I don't really want to run without them, because I drive the car almost daily during the spring/summer, and it does rain here :lol: I'm just thinking I may wind up with some clearance issues with the wheels I have. I want to get all this figured out before I do the '78, because I'm going to stick with this width in the front, and eventually go with an even wider wheel in the back (think C6 ZR1 wheels).

alowerlevel

Frequent Racer
May 30, 2008
South Jersey 08109
lots of the mini-truck & full-size truck guys that are bagged & running large rims use trailer fenders on the front to give them the needed room and still keep things clean underhood. Lemme see if I can find a pic or 2

Edit : all my pics are too big to post here. if you want give me your email and Ill send them to you

MalibuMan1979

Frequent Racer
Aug 17, 2008
flint, (lapeer), michigan
i don't know if it is true, but, i was told by my nephew that you run faster times with your inner fenders installed. he said he tried it and it is true, (although we are talking tenth seconds, different days, different temps, ect.) any thoughts?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I've read the same, and believe it. If the fenders are gone all the air can collect and form a sort of air foil in the engine compartment, and it doesn't have anywhere to go. If you were racing with no hood it would be a different story.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
MalibuMan1979 said:
i don't know if it is true, but, i was told by my nephew that you run faster times with your inner fenders installed. he said he tried it and it is true, (although we are talking tenth seconds, different days, different temps, ect.) any thoughts?

X2. Just look at pretty much every Pro Stock car... BIG difference in aerodynamics.

Tommy

80montecarlo

Dragway Regular
Apr 24, 2008
cloverdale b.c. canada
with the inner fenders out it is trying to pull air and fuel away from the carb in a way a negative pressure atmosphere, instead of the somewhat positive atmosphere with them in as the air is being pushed threw the rad into the engine compartment and into the intake or out beneith the car.

alowerlevel

Frequent Racer
May 30, 2008
South Jersey 08109
alowerlevel said:
lots of the mini-truck & full-size truck guys that are bagged & running large rims use trailer fenders on the front to give them the needed room and still keep things clean underhood. Lemme see if I can find a pic or 2

Edit : all my pics are too big to post here. if you want give me your email and Ill send them to you

Heres the pics if your interested

fenders021.jpg

fenders013.jpg

fenders018.jpg

2108468_23_full.jpg

100_6169.jpg

Picture019-2.jpg

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
since we're talking aerodynamics tricks, there is a controversial way the nascar guys cheat for top speed rear wheel traction... they open up a pocket to the trunk area which creates a high pressure zone above the floor and causes the rear to puch down... just a little thought... if maybe you get squirrelly at the far end of the track...

80montecarlo

Dragway Regular
Apr 24, 2008
cloverdale b.c. canada
there used to be an 84 regal running around here about 4 years ago that had steel ones now that I remember to accept air bags and larger wheels but that was just to get it to lay on the frame

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!