Frame restoration and cleanup

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
Since I am pulling my engine back out AGAIN, I am going to tak ehte chance to clean up the front of my frame and get some paint on it.

What should I use to clean the frame?

What should I use to paint the frame?

I will be doing this outside, but under a car port. It will probrably be pretty cool out.

I am not rich, so I would really like to keep it as cheap as possible, but I don't want to have to do it over again for at least a year, when I plan to do a full frame off.

hp3445

Amateur Racer
Jan 25, 2009
Southern NJ
I used an angle grinder with a knotted cup brush.. It was probably the cheapest way to go. I then painted it with Chassis Black from Eastwood.

Attachments

• xtremecb.jpg
    xtremecb.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,364
  • dw4910.jpg
    dw4910.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,367

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I cleaned mine with a wire brush/scraper, did the final wipe with brake parts cleaner & rags, and used good ol' Rust-Oleum semi-flat (maybe semi-gloss... whatever I had). I did it somewhat hastily so I didn't get all of the frame, but I wasn't extremely concerned given the condition of the rest of the car.
DSC00447.jpg

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
Thanks guys

Any idea on the price of that eastwood chassis paint.

The car's frame is pretty nice, I just want that motor to look good sitting in there to look good after I get it all rebuilt.

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
I used engine cleaner twice in 1 week early in the AM at the Coin Op Carwash to get most of the gunk off ( I had pulled the wheelwheels too ) before I even pulled the motor. The second time let me catch most of the places I missed the first time. I spent a good 2-3 hours on each wheelwell getting the years of crap off of them with a scrub-brush and varsol and the work paid off as they came out great.

Once the motor was out I got what was left with a scraper and brake cleaner. Then coated it all in paintable rockerguard and top coated that with some quick dry semi-gloss black I had laying around. The old motor came out friday eve and I did the final clean and paint that night in about 2 hours and got the wheelwells back in. The next morning everything was dry and the new motor went in. I find the paintable rockerguard evens out all the dirt and crap that is missed and because it's textured it will hide alot.

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
Doober said:
Are you going to take the front clip off? If I had the time/drive when I was doing the motor I would have on mine.

No, not right now. I haven't gotten to drive the car except up and down the drive way. I would like to get some drive time so I don't loose interest.

I am going to get it driving and hopefully enjoy it next summer. Next fall, I plan to jerk the whole thing apart and do a frame off restoration on the car.

It has no rust on the entire car, so I should only have to pull it apart, clean, and paint.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!