'02 dodge ram rusty bed woes..

larryg

Frequent Racer
Jun 6, 2008
Western Mass
I bought this truck new and had to have one section above the rear wheel cut out and replaced two years ago from rust eating though because of the factory putting in some type of foam between the inner and outer fenders, I'm assuming to catch and hang onto moisture :roll: . A month ago I notice the same bubbles appearing on the other side ](*,) . Yesterday I check out the side that was already done over and yep..... A big fat friggin bubble!

I love this truck but I would like a fix that would be more permanent. I'm thinking about ditching the inner fenders, or at least cutting holes to release trapped moisture, and spraying the crap out of the back sides with some type of sealer/bed liner. LMC sells the small metal I need for $90 each but the paint and repair is going to be at least $800. Any ideas? Anyone in Mass/CT want to do it for less?

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
That foam is actually a bonding agent to hold the two panels together and is also used for noise control. I know, it's the bed of a truck. [-( ...The best thing that you can do onec repaired is to remove your taillights twice a year and pressure wash the inside of your box sides to remove the dirt that WILL get in there. HTH

El Camino Junkie

Amateur Racer
Apr 15, 2007
WALTERS, OK
You might also spray it with some weld through primer once you cut the rust out, and get ready to weld the new piece in. I have not used it, but I have heard that it works well. Has anyone else tried it? I am just thinking that if once the outer bed has been cut to remove the rust, you could clean and prime the inner fender before welding the new panel in place. The as stated above cleaning it out often to keep the dirt that is trapped in there out.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts