Another Cowl hood Question

El Camino Junkie

Amateur Racer
Apr 15, 2007
WALTERS, OK
I noticed in Summit that they sell a steel Cowl Hood scoop. Has anyone used one of these? How do they look? Did you just weld them into place, and then fill them to smooth them out? I would assume it would be just about like changing a quarter panel.

sbmalibu

Frequent Racer
Oct 5, 2009
north judson indiana
Ive heard of these before but wouldnt want to try one.There is a good chance the hood would warp from welding plus you would have to try to brace it plus cut a hole in the hood.Then blend it in sand and paint.By the time you do all that you could probably buy a hood cheaper.Check online for a used one you can find one for a decent price.And buy a quality one, a cheap one will take longer to get ready and preped for paint.So you dont really save on them.I personally love my harwood 4" show series but the regular bolt on is a bit cheaper.

El Camino Junkie

Amateur Racer
Apr 15, 2007
WALTERS, OK
I am wondering if you could TIG weld it into place. A lot less warping I would think becasue the heat is so concentrated in such a small area. I had not thought of having to brace it, but it would probably be a little shakey in the middle of the scoop.

Thanks for the input.

A

Anonymous

I have no comment about the scoop you mentioned specifically. However, I wouldn't think you would need to cut the entire section out of the hood and brace it.

Why wouldn't you just cut a round hole in the hood for the breather and put the scoop over it? The idea is to get as much cool air into the carb as possible, and having the extra metal from the original hood would help separate the hot engine bay from the breather (e.g. get more cool air).

sbmalibu

Frequent Racer
Oct 5, 2009
north judson indiana
You may be on to something with the smaller hole just to fit a breather through, but i was thinking you would have to brace the scoop its self not the hood i think it might flex in the middle at the back.As for the origional poster i guess if you get someone to tig it on you might get away with not warping it but unless you or a buddy can tig it might be expensive to have done.

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Use panel bond. No warpage and it will take a cutting torch to break it loose.

You can talk to any body shop about just enought to glue it down with.

bukweet

NEW2MALIBU

Dragway Regular
Mar 5, 2007
idaho
I just ordered one from these guys. Should be here tomorrow. When it shows up I will let you guys know how the quality is. Seemed like a decent deal $399 for the hood $99 shipping anywhere to a business address. I haven't heard many good stories with installing the cowl on your existing hood.
http://www.carhoods.com/

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
That's U.S. Body Source in florida.
Rings a bell from previous discussions.
Any one know anything about 'em?

bukweet

NEW2MALIBU

Dragway Regular
Mar 5, 2007
idaho
That's U.S. Body Source in florida.
Rings a bell from previous discussions.
Any one know anything about 'em?

I didn't realize that was them. If I had known it was U.S. Body Source I would not have purchased from them. I ordered it last Tues., they said it would be here on Friday or Tuesday at the latest. Here it is Wednesday and still no hood. I have heard nothing but horror stories about them as far as their fiberglass goes. Hopefully this steel bolt on won't be so bad. I'll let you know.

NEW2MALIBU

Dragway Regular
Mar 5, 2007
idaho
Well I got my hood. Actually I am very happy with it. It did take a week longer than they said to get here, but I wasn't in any hurry. The only thing I didn't like was they glued some bubble wrap to the top of the hood as usual the crap was a pita to get off.
MalibuHood005.jpg

MalibuHood002.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts