LeMans Hood Question.

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
I really don't want to cut up my stock hood and don't think they make cowl hoods for the LeMans, or that they would look good. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking that if I had to I could cut a hole just big enough for the carb to stick out and have to put the air cleaner on when the hood is shut? Or would that look too cheesy. I'm not even sure if I will need a bigger hood but if I want to ad a spacer or a high rise manifold I want to have the option. I have seen one modified LeMans hood before from that pontiac magazine but I didn't really like the look of it. I think it was the T/A Shaker style or something. Any ideas will help, thanks.

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
Figure out your upper engine combo first before you CUT! Once cut you can't go back! I think you will have a hard time finding a replacement stock hood. I just searched around and like you said, There are not any Cowl hoods available for your LeMans. Food for thought: I have a Edelbrock RPM Intake, {the Air Gap RPM is the same height as the regular RPM} A 1/2" spacer, 750 Holley and a 3" Air cleaner housing, The hold down nut clears my factory hood by approx. 1/4" when closed, along with all the other crap I got under there!
http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq195/HPJUNKEY/HPIM1519.jpg

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
No way would I cut my stock hood without knowing if it would clear or not, lol. I'm just doing some research before i get to that point and then have to make a decision if necessary. That combo you have there seems to be fine and that may be what I'm aiming for. Still need to figure out 100% for sure what I am going to do with the top end tho. Thanks for the info.

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
No problem, any time!!

ElCaminoBill

Pro Stocker
Feb 8, 2004
South Carolina
I was am planning to do the T/A shaker. :shock: I have pics of a Lemans where somebody grafted the small sccops of of an early 70s GTO hood.

79GrandAm2.jpg

There was a guy on this forum who was going to have a glass hood made with a cowl scoop But I have yet to hear the results.

A few companies make steel cowl hood scoops that could be welded on.

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
ElCaminoBill said:
I was am planning to do the T/A shaker. :shock: I have pics of a Lemans where somebody grafted the small sccops of of an early 70s GTO hood.

79GrandAm2.jpg

There was a guy on this forum who was going to have a glass hood made with a cowl scoop But I have yet to hear the results.

A few companies make steel cowl hood scoops that could be welded on.

I noticed those harwood hood scoops in jegs and a couple of them kind of look like they follow the same bump in the hood of the lemans. Thats what screws everything up, lol.

ElCaminoBill

Pro Stocker
Feb 8, 2004
South Carolina
The Harwood bump may match pretty well with a Lemans.

I tried the glass scoop on a steel hod with my El Camino and always got hairline cracks after driving it. Since then I would only do a glass scoop on a glass hood of steel on steel.

If you could get a spare Lemans hood, you could cut a section out and make a scoop. There was a recent thread centered around home made scoops. Some looked pretty good.

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
Do you know if they sell steel scoops anywhere?

toxicbu

Frequent Racer
Feb 25, 2009
romeoville il
is the malibu hood the same, i mean the hood lines ? my buddy has a 79 regal and it had a malibu hood but the lines was off .

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
Wouldn't match because the "hump" going down the middle of the hood continues onto the front header panel.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!