Grill/plastic trim repair? PICS ADDED

WhiteTrash79MC

Dragway Regular
Aug 20, 2004
Reading, PA
My grill is missing a 1/2 x 1/4 inch chunk in the upper corner, is there anyway to repair this? Also my tail light bezel is cracked, any special glue or epoxy that will hold up?

hp3445

Amateur Racer
Jan 25, 2009
Southern NJ
Re: Grill/plastic trim repair?

I had a chunk missing from a headlight trim piece. I used some fiberglass strands and filler to make a corner and sanded it down. It looks good, I can get away with it as a daily driver.

Lenses are a little more difficult. Maybe check with one of the local body shops to see what new on the market..

Good luck,

WhiteTrash79MC

Dragway Regular
Aug 20, 2004
Reading, PA
Re: Grill/plastic trim repair?

^^^ Thanks for the input. I started feeling a bit experimental today so I decided I would attempt to "weld" new plastic into the grill for the repair. I used a scrap computer drive bay blank for the patch and also cut thin strips of the same to use as "filler rod". I sacrificed a chisel style tip on my 40w soldering iron. I gotta say I'm quite impressed with myself \:D/
The bonding seems quite strong(can grasp the repair and flex the whole grill, also was not gentle while sanding) I was so excited I forgot to take a before pic #-o

right after I "welded" in the new piece and got it into the general shape it needed to be
13624830467_ORIG.jpg

and here is after a bit more filling, lots of sanding , more filling, ect. and then a coat of primer
13624830456_ORIG.jpg

Should only need a light skim coat of glaze/spot putty to finish it off

rock

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Chicagoland area
Good job. I like to use cheap plastic hangers. Depending on the size of the repair, you can break the hanger into pieces and use it as a filler rod. For small repairs you can use the solder iron. for big repairs you can set it on fire and oooozzzz it on. Be careful when you set it on fire because it will burn continuously and sometimes "Drip" hot plastic. If you haven't tried this before, do it just for the fun of it. I have also experimented with dousing the repair with cold water or soaking it in cold water to "Flash Cure" the plastic. The stuff get rock hard like it was originally. If you let it air cool, it will take a little longer and you can still work-it to its final state. Sanding can be done afterwards. Also, if you ever break your plastic hanger just use the fire method to mend both pieces back together. (it works)

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts