Repairing body dings

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
OK, I have a wierd problem, I'm goign to start stripping the body down to metal and going to prime it myself, and maybe paint it, maybe not, but need some help on some body work...

I have little dings outward on my rear quarter panels, some of us have them from toolboxes sliding around in our trunks, others from speakerboxes, but I've got them. The question is how to flatten the raised parts. Is there a good book I can buy to show me all these, and maybe a good tool set that will help me do the body work. The reason the car has to go to metal is that I know there are alot of areas that need touch up.

Also, what type of spray primer should I use on bare metal, I know that I've read that you should use an epoxy primer then do the body work...if anybody could help me, as I've decided that its time to at least start ti.

Thanks

Otis

shaggydjlg

Amateur Racer
Dec 31, 2007
Hersey,Mich
first the dings u will want to put a dolly on the back side of the ding and lightly tap it back into shape with a hammer.If u dont have a dolly u could use a bigger hammer head instead.But do the dings first before u prime.Now if u are going to bare metal u would first want to use a self etching primer i use DE17 but there are others.You dont have to do the whole car to bare metal id just go to the factory prime.Then go over that with epoxy primer. you may still have to use filler.Im telling u its a lot of work if you do it the right way but in the long run worth every min u have into it.Good luck with the project your going to be down for awhile!!!

A

Anonymous

Otis
The hammer and dolly procedure is a good method. If you can afford one , buy a cheap stud gun to remove anything from small to medium dents and dings. Harbor freight sells them pretty cheap. Grind clean the area that is low and apply the stud. Then use the supplied stud puller to pull the stud until the dent is almost flush. Use a straight edge to check for straightness. Once straight,just grind off the studs. Take your time. Try to do just one panel at a time. You will be less apt to miss the really small waves and dings. Patience is everything. Apply the filler and sand. Use a good quality epoxy primer. I've used RM,Ditzler,and Dupont over the years and they are all good. Buy a good long board and sanding block and get started.Good luck.

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
IMO, if this is a keeper, you'll want to strip the car. I don't trust 30 year old lacquer or lacquer primer under any good (expensive) refinish materials.

The previous advice on dents/dings is spot-on. For SMALL areas rattle can etching primer will suffice to hold you until you're ready to strip and epoxy prime the whole panel.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts