roll your car???

elcamino814

Amateur Racer
Nov 21, 2009
Beecher,illinois
hey guys, I have an 81 elco that im building for a street/strip car and have been wondering what to do for paint. I was gunna spray the car this coming summer( would be my first time painting) but then I came across people that have used rustoleum and rolled it on! they also had an article in HOT ROD magizine about painting your car with a roller. it says to thin the rustolum 40 to 50 percent with mineral sperits and you want a watery consinstancy. also it says to aply aprox 8 to 10 thin coats to acheive desired finish and sand with 600 grit between coats and 1000, 1500, and then 2000 to finish it. some people have said it costs between 30 and a 100 bucks! but its takes about two weeks to finish. buuuut if you have the time and no money like i do this sounds like a GREAT idea!!!! let me know what you guys think or if anybody has done this, thanks joe

check out rollyourcar.com for pics and more info

rustbucket

Frequent Racer
Nov 19, 2003
AUBURN MAINE
it looks a little far fetched to me, but it seems some people have had some luck with it.

elcamino814

Amateur Racer
Nov 21, 2009
Beecher,illinois
yea kinda, the only downfall I see is how many times I would have to wet sand in between each coat. seems like it will be a pain but if it saves money i guess ill try and if it doesnt work then ill only be out a 100 bucks at most and ill have a hell of a primer/base to paint over lol. thanks

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
elcamino814 said:
yea kinda, the only downfall I see is how many times I would have to wet sand in between each coat. seems like it will be a pain but if it saves money i guess ill try and if it doesnt work then ill only be out a 100 bucks at most and ill have a #### of a primer/base to paint over lol. thanks

Nope, it'd have to come off for real paint.

toxicbu

Frequent Racer
Feb 25, 2009
romeoville il
i used rustolem from ace, and duplicolor's allweather specalty reducer, mix 50/50 and spray it . it works but dont sand it untill the paint has cured ( hard) wich can take up to 3-4 weeks or longer depending on the weather. and wet sand with 2000 the paint will look dull then use rubing compound , and buff .

Attachments

• paint booth 016.jpg
    paint booth 016.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,862
  • paint booth 012.jpg
    paint booth 012.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 1,859

thegrassmaster

Amateur Racer
Aug 2, 2009
Chittenango, NY.
roll on primer is amazing for doing small jobs......

rdp

Feb 24, 2010
not to offend anyone but rollers are for painting houses. spray guns are for cars. you can look on ebay and find cheap automotive paint. its not the best but i would think it has to be better than rolling on rustoleum

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
roll your car???oh my :shock: make sure you heat the paint can up on the stove before you apply it that way it will flow to the ground and you can cut the runs off in two weeks when it finally drys and your friends will say "it's the wet look" :D

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts