Temporary pinhole rust solution...

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I have a little pinhole rust on the front passenger floorboard, and I'm tring to find a good, fairly simple temporary solution for it. It'll be cut out and replaced eventually, but until then I'd thought of applying some Eastwood rust converter, then some body filler to either side to fill the holes until I can properly fix it. I came across some aluminum reinforced filler a couple days ago, how would that hold up?

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
Doober, I did this with a Jeep I had YEARS ago, Sounds a little ghetto, but remember it is "TEMPORARY"!! I took some sheet metal, cut it twice as big as the holes, applied some roofing tar {the waterproof kind in the caulk tubes} around the rust holes and pressed the sheet metal over it, took a putty knife and smoothed out the "spooged" tar. That was a "temporary fix" that lasted 4 years! until I replaced the floors. It was even water proof, I tested that out in many creeks!! :lol: :lol:

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Believe it or not I did this (sealer) on the '81 this past summer :roflback: The floorboard isn't really bad, it's just fairly rusty with pinhole rust no bigger than ~.030" or so. It's also something I'm considering. I'll still be putting some converter & paint on both the inside/outside of the floorboard because I don't know for sure how long this will be for. I should say "temporary with intent to fix" :lol:
email4.jpg

shaggydjlg

Amateur Racer
Dec 31, 2007
Hersey,Mich
doober yep seam sealer will work.Something else that works good is sound deadener just take a propane torch and heat it up press it into place ive done this with newer cars that have water issues around wire harness connections. water proofs it real good.

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
I have had good luck with the POR15. I got the trunk kit and it came with everything needed including some of their putty and mesh for patching those holes. My floor looked the same right under the firewall seam on the PS and 2 coats pulled it all back together. After a couple weeks of hardening it's strong as the steel that was there when new.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!