Sand/Fill Primer

82elcamino

Dragway Regular
Oct 22, 2003
Orlando, Florida
Need to get a layer of primer over some body filler and metal to check out high/low spots. hard to feel and see whats going on without a solid color on the car.

what i need to know is can i throw down a primer BEFORE i do an epoxy primer. i plan on wet sanding/ block sanding before the epoxy.

the el camino is sanded down smooth and ready almost ready to be painted, of course after i block it and primer it.

any help on this would be great.

Billy.

Z-man

Dragway Regular
Aug 12, 2006
Barnesville MN/ Fargo ND
What I do lay down some cheap lacquer guide coat on the areas in question. Block them out to get rid of high/low spots. Use as long of a block as you can and you'll get it straight.

gbodyera

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2010
Miami- Detroit
The best thing to do is lay down the epoxy over bare metal. This works great for fighting against corrosion and is great for adhesion. You dont have to wet sand this step. Next:(when you say "primer" I assume you're referring to primer surfacer. Well. Shoot the surfacer. Block this down. Guide coat (we use a can of spray paint. Sand away until shes straight. Shoot more if you want, just make sure that you get that body straight. After it's straight. Go ahead and shoot some sealer. I sometimes use the epoxy just reduce it 10% so it flows better. Its important to shoot this coat 1/2 wet with a 50% overlap. No sanding needed here. You can wet sand this coat but dont go too deep. If you do wet sand this will just provide for a smoother finish. If youre satisfied. Go and shoot the BC/CC. Hope I can help.

BMR Sales

Frequent Racer
Nov 20, 2008
Gbodyera, has it right on the money. Use the epoxy first for adhesion and corrosion and then apply the primer/filler over the top of the epoxy. You can do your body work right over the top of the epoxy. The filler will adhere better to that than bare metal. Make sure you use a good catalyzed primer. Its a little more expensive but does a better job.

82elcamino

Dragway Regular
Oct 22, 2003
Orlando, Florida
well i took the low areas down to metal. and did the body filler already. stuck pretty darn good and hard. and came out really smooth.. but the car wasnt taken all the way to metal on the whole thing. some areas that were bad were. but for the most part. was a red car . now its pink/metal/primer/filler.

just looking to cover my body work areas to see how its going to look.. ..

what kind of primer is needed for that? epoxy or any other?

gbodyera

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2010
Miami- Detroit
1st of all. Is the paint that was on there before you stripped it down the original? What kind of primer do you have on there with the filler?

82elcamino

Dragway Regular
Oct 22, 2003
Orlando, Florida
seems to be original paint with grey epoxy primer. some of the body filler areas where i did some welding is bare metal under the filler

82elcamino

Dragway Regular
Oct 22, 2003
Orlando, Florida
This is a blitz black project and i realize its not going to be perfect. going to lay down a layer of the BB primer and work on it from there.

gbodyera

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2010
Miami- Detroit
Ok. After you have all of your filler spots sanded. Shoot the whole car with epoxy. Next shoot some 2k High Build Primer Surfacer. If youre not familiar with it, this stuff is thick. The surfacer will give you you build.After you shoot a coat or 2 of this go ahead and block sand and get your body straight now. (this is the part we discussed about guide coating and such). After your body is straight as you want it. Then you may want to shoot a sealer. (Epoxy/ 10% reducer). Shooting sealer at this point will do just as it says "seal" the Base Coat from the surfacer. If youre shooting a black base or another dark color, I hope your body is straight. Darker colors are very unforgiving in bodywork. I hope I helped you. Also I'd love to see some progress pics.

gbodyera

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2010
Miami- Detroit
I forgot to mention. Putting filler over welded spots isnt the best way to go. As is doesnt offer all of the protection epoxy does.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts