PPG Paint school.....waterbase

shaggydjlg

Amateur Racer
Dec 31, 2007
Hersey,Mich
well i just got back from ppg's paint school....I am now a certified PPG painter!!! Monday my shop is doing a change over from solvent paint to water base does anyone use it? I think california has been using it for some time now.
Anyway the class was very interesting and i learned a lot from it.In fact my boss and i are going back to learn how to do some custom painting.Like murals and real flames or basic flames.It will also teach how to paint wood grain,flags ,eagles,u name it and its all in water base. Ive always wanted to learn that neat stuff.
Its seems easy enough to spray and has a total differant gun distance and hand sweeping motion.Very easy to clean and it is by far the easiest paint to use to blend a panel. Its almost impossible to mess up and its takes far less time and money to paint a car.
I can paint and clearcoat a fender in approx 5 mins.and its done!! Have u ever ran the clearcoat and sanded through to the base coat?? Give me 5 mins. and ill paint it clear it give it a 10 min bake and u can drive it down the road!! Thats right no sealer or solvent pop to mess the paint job up and seriously no buffing if the booth is clean!!!
In the year 2014 all bodyshops that surround the great lakes will have to go to water base.And if you dont it is a 25,000 dollar fine!!!
The law will state if u do cars in your own garage on your own time u can only do 2 per year with solvent base paint!! That sucks because my buddy does several of them.
Well anyway if u havent tried the water base paint take a class and u will see how much easier it is!!

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
you said it man,once you go evirobase you won't want to go back to solvent!no more de-nibing the base with the h20 though,.using the blowers to dry the base is weird at first,everything i was taught up till now was never "skin over "anything with air,times are a changing.gotta keep up or shut down.this will push the mom&pop shops out too.it's goiong to be mandatory in mass in under two years.did you use the one visit clears?talk about high solids!almost need to hands to pick it up!

shaggydjlg

Amateur Racer
Dec 31, 2007
Hersey,Mich
melloelky said:
you said it man,once you go evirobase you won't want to go back to solvent!no more de-nibing the base with the h20 though,.using the blowers to dry the base is weird at first,everything i was taught up till now was never "skin over "anything with air,times are a changing.gotta keep up or shut down.this will push the mom&pop shops out too.it's goiong to be mandatory in mass in under two years.did you use the one visit clears?talk about high solids!almost need to hands to pick it up!

My shop decided that we may not use the dryer and we will let it air dry it takes a bit longer but right now we dont see a need for it because we paint alot of panels at one time.And it is still dries faster then solvent.
My instructor liked the 4000 clear so we played with that and its unbelievable stuff... my shop uses something else i wanna say 2024? and 2001? cant remember ive been up for hrs.
The thing that blew me away is the blends we did after we painted the front clip he had us sand it and then he put a piece of tape on an area then mixed a darker formula up and we sprayed it u could not tell it was darker and couldnt see the blend unless u looked at where he put the tape!!! AMAZING!!!

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
My shop decided that we may not use the dryer and we will let it air dry it takes a bit longer but right now we dont see a need for it because we paint alot of panels at one time.And it is still dries faster then solvent.
My instructor liked the 4000 clear so we played with that and its unbelievable stuff... my shop uses something else i wanna say 2024? and 2001? cant remember ive been up for hrs.
The thing that blew me away is the blends we did after we painted the front clip he had us sand it and then he put a piece of tape on an area then mixed a darker formula up and we sprayed it u could not tell it was darker and couldnt see the blend unless u looked at where he put the tape!!! AMAZING!!![/quote]
ya man,it's good stuff!pick up one of those cheapey handheld blowes just to try it you might like it.i'm getting out of the 3000&4000 clears around here due to the up&coming compliance law(s).the clears you maybe refering to is 2042and 2021and 2002?concept clears.growng up ui used the 2042 but found its no very"clear"more of a golden hue.it does make the diffrence when you blended to front of the panel and the rear of the panel looks like you dragged color there,it got old fast.that 3&4thousand are nice stuff.we use the 2021 clear on our higher end jobs.so,naturally i'm using it on my elcamino!if you ever try that one visit clear it's a trip!one&a half coat,&thats it!.its weird at first but with the laws changing we must abide.let me know how the school goes when you go back and be sure to ask questions!!

shaggydjlg

Amateur Racer
Dec 31, 2007
Hersey,Mich
OK im not tired anymore even though its been a long day We spray 2042 for fast jobs and 2002 for our sweet looking jobs. The 2002 sprays good and lays good it also cures good thats what i used on my malibu.I dont have much experiance or knowlage on the 4000 clear but from what ive seen its a good clear Ive never had the oppertunity to sand and buff it though. Some may beg to differ from me but so far i can (pour) it on with no runs unlike the 2002 and 2042 clears.BTW i got the paint and shelf today from ppg and the hand held blowers were free so i guess were going to use them now!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
We (me and some freinds) paint five or six cars a year. I've heard about this paint, but not much. Do you have a good website to learn more?
The locle paint shop can't sell you paint unless you give them your address so the enviro pep can come and inspect your booth. We have no booth just a seald bay with a fan and some air filters.
If you use water base paint, do you still have to pass enviro inspection?

scuba_steve's_bu

Frequent Racer
Apr 9, 2009
Rock Rapids, Iowa
waterborne paint is the way of the future. we have 6 or 8 shops in our area that have made the switch.

shaggydjlg

Amateur Racer
Dec 31, 2007
Hersey,Mich
gman415 said:
We (me and some freinds) paint five or six cars a year. I've heard about this paint, but not much. Do you have a good website to learn more?
The locle paint shop can't sell you paint unless you give them your address so the enviro pep can come and inspect your booth. We have no booth just a seald bay with a fan and some air filters.
If you use water base paint, do you still have to pass enviro inspection?

unfortunetly your shop will not pass an enviro inspection and yes u will have to pass inspection to spay water base paint.Thats what the EPA wants is to shut the little guys down You need efficiant air flow.For some reason i do not know why the little guys are being pushed aside. All legal bodyshops have to be registered to spray it and the only way is to go to a class and learn the basics of it on how to spray it because it does spray differant then the normal solvent paint.
If u dont have a business and do it on the side the only way to get caught is if a neighbor turns u in for spraying solvent paint.If u dont have neighbors then i wouldnt worry to much about it.But im sure it wouldnt be long that the Goverment will find a differant way to catch u spraying.
You could get on PPG's website it may tell u something there and its not only PPG that makes this stuff its dupont and and a couple other major brands. PPG has it perfected because they have been working on formula for about 15 years now.All the others is where PPG was at 15 years ago and still trying to get it right.
All american car companies have been using it for about 2 or 3 years now so if u buy a new car 9 out of 10 chances it will be painted with water base paint.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
around here we're starting to see that we need to take a class to be certified to spray primer,messed up rite?you paint suppler/rep will have to measure how long it takes for the air to change in the booth,its far greater than the solvent rate.they've been spraying h2o overseas for many years now,so that means your favorate italian sports car is water.shaggy,give the blowers a try its quick just angle it not straight so much.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!