roll bar questions

AVENGER79

Daily Driver
Oct 22, 2018
got an 8 point roll bar for the monte. not a cage so no front hoop.

couple questions before I take her to the welder.
bars go to frame. do they weld directly to the frame without the footplates? it seems redundant to put the plate on the frame. I could see using plates with a unibody car.

when you weld floor back around roll bar, do you weld the floor TO the roll bar or just sew it up close?

do you remove fuel tank when installing roll bar just in case or ok to leave it in?

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
You don't need the plates on the frame. The plates are only for a unibody installation. The bottom of the tube can be contoured to match the frame. IF the welder is really interested, he can fabricate a box on the frame to give himself a flat surface to weld the tube to. As far as the floor, just weld it back in place and use seam sealer around the bar to the floor. The body will flex and welding it to the floor will just tear the floor anyway. My car was a full cage car and you could see shiny marks where the floor moved around the bar. Gas tank, that could be the welder's preference. For a stock suspension car, the rear bars should be welded over the top of the rear spring seats. So no real reason to go all the way to the rear. If it is desired, you can put the main bars to the upper spring seats and then run an outrigger bar to the back of the frame rails, but anything back there isn't really structural just holding the body up.

AVENGER79

Daily Driver
Oct 22, 2018
Thanks for the answer. pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

talked to the welder last night, he did say he would prefer the tank be out. I can't blame him for that, I have had a few close calls with fire and did not enjoy it at all.

thanks a lot for the positioning advice for the rear bars.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!