tires and wheels

widomkr79

Daily Driver
Aug 10, 2010
I am currently looking to put new wheels and tires on my 79 and wanting to know how big i can go in the rear to fit inside the wells. I am not sure if i want 17" or 18" but also lowering 2" .All the wheels i find online are not going wider than 8" due to the offset. Not sure what the means. I currently have 15x9 in the back now and it appears i can go another inch wider and still tuck. Any insight or advise would be much appreciated.

Canadian-T-Bone

Dragway Regular
May 25, 2003
Abbotsford,B.C.
Once you lower the car , that will affect how much room you have to fill with wheel & tire . All g body's are not created equally in rear wheel well tubs . 17's have a good selection of tire sizes & 18's have even more . On my cutlass ,that has been lowered 2" all the way around , I went with a 17x8 with 4.5 b.s. I am currently running a 245/45/17 on all four & changing the rears to a 275/40/17 shortly . I hope this answers your question . As for wider wheels , check out summit racing or tirerack.com

widomkr79

Daily Driver
Aug 10, 2010
Thanks for the reply. I think i want to go with a 17" wheel with same bs as you 4.5" and just recieved my new lowering springs 2'' all the way around. But would like to go to 9 or 9.5" wide in the rear. Looking at your car do you think that will fit? I dont see why it wouldn't due to measuring the tub at 12". I am really having a hard time finding wheels on line even with Summitt they dont go wider than 8" with the style i am looking for. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Any pics of the Ols

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!