PLEASE READ: Malibu Racing Lives!!

spare wheel problem

Questions, answers, tips and tech on wheels, tires and brake issues

Moderator: Moderators

wadedog
Pro Stocker

spare wheel problem

Post by wadedog » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:05 am

I need a spare wheel for the trunk in case of a flat since i drive on the street mostly, problem is I have 5/8" lugs on the back and stock 7/16" on the front.

A stock wheel hole is smaller than 5/8 ,I have a ralley wheel from a vette I was thinking maybe drill it out slightly to fit and use acorn wheel nuts for a dirt tracker in 5/8 and a stock acorn nut for the front so i can use the same wheel for front or back.

think that will work or is there a better way?

LS6 Tommy
MalibuRacing Junkie

Re: spare wheel problem

Post by LS6 Tommy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:56 am

5/8" studs on a street car. WOW. I though I overbuilt things. :lol: I wouldn't drill a wheel stud hole bigger at home, but that's just me. My guess is you'd need to open the hole up on center & also possibly countersink the nut seat deeper to get proper seat contact.

Tommy
20k mile '80 Malibu, currently undergoing long term (aka no money) factory style install LS6 454, Cowl Induction, Legend LGT 700 5 speed. Full Global West suspension, 17" N90 wheels, 12" front/11" rear disc brakes, 9" 3.70 Auburn Pro posi.

"The older I get, the faster I was"

wadedog
Pro Stocker

Re: spare wheel problem

Post by wadedog » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:30 pm

Thanks Thats kinda what I was thinking too but wondered if someone had been down that road before and had a better idea. thanks for the reply.

Yes i like to have it built to take what ever I throw at it,lol.