steel wheels vs aluminum weight.

toyodajeff

Daily Driver
May 21, 2012
Canton, GA
Ive been thinking about getting a 2 aluminum wheels to go on the back of my el camino for when i take it to the track. Right now it has 14 inch corvette rallys with cordavon grand prix tires. I was thinking about trying to find some 80s factory aluminum 15 inch wheels off a camaro or s10(because they would be cheap) does anybody know which wheels I should look for as which stock ones would be the lightest? Or is the weight difference on factory thick aluminum wheels minimal compared to steel? also should i maybe even try to find 16s or stay with 15s? And I would mount a set of drag radials on the wheels.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
I read a article a few years ago on aluminum rims vs steel rims. In the article it read that steel rims hook better then aluminum. It also stated that for drag racing you want steel rims on the back and aluminum on the front.

Doug

art

Amateur Racer
Aug 8, 2008
Mastic, New York 11950
Factory aluminum wheels are not very light. I can say for sure that a factory steel wheel with a radial tire on it weighs every bit of 50 lbs.(or more) My set of 15 X 3.5 draglites with a 165 80 R 15 tire on them weigh 28 lbs each. I had a 275 60 15 drag radials on mcss stock aluminum wheels and for the life of me, I cannot remember what they weighed.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!