brake proportioning valve questions

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
I will be installing on stock brake proportioning valve on my 1980 Chevy Monte Carlo is there any special things I need to do or do I just on bolt the lines and the valve and replace the new proportioning valve, remove and install the lines or do I need to set anything on the new proportioning valve ? Thanks

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Shouldn't other than bleeding the system out. There is a pin on the prop valve that can be depressed while bleeding. I've only needed to do that once when I couldn't get the system to bleed out all the way.

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
It's kinda like a reset button but needs to stay depressed while bleeding. There is a tool but I used a heavy duty zip tie I had handy at the time.

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
Zip tie maybe better for me also,so after.installing and bleeding cut.the zip tie and the pin will pop out and is that how you adjust the proportioningredients valve? THANKS

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
The wheel farthest away from the master cylinder is bled first which in most cases is in this order: Right Rear, Left Rear, Right Front, Left Front. Failure to bleed in the proper order will cause air to remain in the lines. This is because if you bleed a short line, (ex. front lines) before bleeding a long line (ex. rear lines), the fluid in the short line will compress and prevent enough pressure from being built up in the long line to expel the air. Furthermore, incorrect bleeding order will cause pressure to build up on one side of the proportioning valve, causing it to close on the low pressure side making it impossible to force fluid to the rear lines. If this happens you will never be able to bleed the system until you readjust the proportioning Valve.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!