Moser Axle Wheel Stud Size?

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
I bought some Moser axles for press-in style wheel studs. The problem is the holes don't fit stock studs. I can't find any information from Moser online that says they use a certain size, does anybody know? Are they made a certain size to be drilled out?

Jordan81

Pro Stocker
Feb 10, 2004
wichita, ks
what size is the knurl on the stud? they make different sizes on the same size stud... say like a 7/16 stud has a couple different knurl sizes

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
I'm unsure of the knurl size. It's not just the knurl that is too large though, even the threaded portion of the stud will not fit in the hole. The thread size is correct for the lug nuts I have though (which fit the stock axles obviously).

COPO 572

Dragway Regular
Mar 23, 2004
Morrisville, NC 27560
A lot of aftermarket axles are 1/2-20 thread. I know my Strange axles are.

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
The lug nuts I have been running are 12x1.5. I realized there's no way I'll be able to run this thread size without drilling the holes out... I'm not sure what moser's plan was here but it sure is becoming a pain in the *ss. I tried drilling with a 1/2 inch bit but it was too big and now that stud is not really being held in place as snug as I'd like. I may try to find a sharper 15/32 bit and see if that will work.

There's also the threaded holes if I want to use lug bolts , which I'm highly considering now since I realize that one stud may be too loose and end up causing me issues when trying to remove that wheel.

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
bought a 15/32 bit today for 20 bucks and it snapped off within 1 second of use. Ha!! :evil: Will return and buy another tomorrow. I was concerned about having the proper tolerance between the knurl and hole size.
the 15/32 bit is .468. I will have to clarify the knurl size but I believe it was like .495 at most.

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
Have destroyed 2 other drill bits since the first. The only bit I could find that cuts through it is the "cryo treated" bit. I've also discovered they dont make lug bolts in the size for the threaded holes which is apparently 1/2-20. SO I am now waiting on some screw-in studs....not sure how those work...seems like they'd loosen with impact gun use but I have no other choice at this point. Now I'm wishing I had just bought the smaller stud, and bought new lug nuts for the back...I'd be driving the car by now.

Jordan81

Pro Stocker
Feb 10, 2004
wichita, ks
try to find a metric bit. for a 7/26-20 thread up front i used a 14mm drill bit to make it very VERY tight on the knurled part of the stud, my rears are 5/8 and they screw in so i can't really help there, but a metric drill bit might be your best bet. just my .02

edit... one more thing, the drill bit may seem like its not cutting, but most likely where you are drilling heated up so much it kinda "heat treated" the metal. get a carbite type bit (what you would use for porting heads) and take a little bit of metal out with that and the drill bit will most likely start cutting again... at least that's what worked for me after buying a a 150 dollar drill doctor,

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
thanks for the info. Unfortunately...I kind of gave up on it. Temporarily I put in the 7/16-20 studs in the 4 holes I hadnt enlarged on each side so I can drive the vehicle. I wish I had done this in the beginning but I was thinking 7/16 seemed too small and I wnated to keep the same stud/lug size all around.

Anyway, you may be right about it having gotten too hot, it definitely looks chewed up. I've spent like 60 bucks on bits in the past few days and it's getting ridiculous haha. By carbon do you mean the black oxide bits?!

I have some screw-in studs on the way. How do you keep yours from loosening? Loctite?

On a side note...how in the hell do you bleed the wheel cylinders in the rear? I cant get a wrench and a hose on them at the same time.

Jordan81

Pro Stocker
Feb 10, 2004
wichita, ks
actually the bit was just some off brand bit that was supposed to go in a dotco. its was a dome shape if that helps...a little larger than the hole i was trying to drill. i just used it to take out the face of the (for lack of a better word) heat treated stuff.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!