mechanical injection

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
Haven't used it personally, but from what I've heard it is hard to tune for street use. I think it is very well suited for WOT like at the strip, but driving around town can be really hard to get right.
-Josh

A

Anonymous

im building a bracket car so im not concerned with drivability. from what ive read, they are supposed to be easier to tune than a holley, but i was just wondering how they compared as far as power. didnt know if it was worth spending the money vs a carb. thanks

540Malibu

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Shrews., MA
mech. will make more power providing its tuned properly, the spray mist of alky cools better too.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
540Malibu said:
mech. will make more power providing its tuned properly, the spray mist of alky cools better too.

"Myth Busted" ;)

FI, whether electronic or mechanical, does NOT in itself make more peak power than the same combo would with a properly setup carb system. It MAY have a little bit better drivebility and in the case of electronic systems more consistancy and broader tuning parameters.

Tommy

A

Anonymous

It MAY have a little bit better drivebility and in the case of electronic systems more consistancy and broader tuning parameters.

x2 ...but only as far as EFI is concerned. its just a more precise way of doing everything a carb does... + self adjusting to all atmospheric conditions... the big advantage of efi is when you use systems that you can adjust the spark curve... timing = power, without timing control, you're just wasting money(why mechanical inj is kinda pointless)...as far as power, i've built several efi systems recently now for my buddies an i using a dfi controllerand have definately picked up a few hp on the dyno (no miracles, 12 hp on a 355 street motor we settup nothing too crazy), along with a broader power band... as far as drivability, i definately get better cold start drivability and better mileage. mechanical injection is a waste of time imo compared to a carb... go efi or keep the carb if it does it for you...

1QwikBu

Dragway Regular
Jul 6, 2003
olympia washington
LS6 Tommy said:
540Malibu said:

"Myth Busted" ;)

FI, whether electronic or mechanical, does NOT in itself make more peak power than the same combo would with a properly setup carb system. It MAY have a little bit better drivebility and in the case of electronic systems more consistancy and broader tuning parameters.

Tommy

i beg to differ there is a certain blue tt camaro that went from carb to fi and dropped 3 tenth's first time out ... i also know of 2 other racers one went from carb to a rons toilet and dropped 3 tenths the other went from farb to efi and dropped even more in et and these guys were diehard carb guru's for years and years

A

Anonymous

1QwikBu said:
LS6 Tommy said:
540Malibu said:

"Myth Busted" ;)

Tommy

i beg to differ there is a certain blue tt camaro that went from carb to fi and dropped 3 tenth's first time out ... i also know of 2 other racers one went from carb to a rons toilet and dropped 3 tenths the other went from farb to efi and dropped even more in et and these guys were diehard carb guru's for years and years

this is the kind of stuff i have HEARD. just didnt know if anyone had any personal experience. one of rons systems is a lot more$ than a carb so there has to be some way to justify the cost.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
stew6371 said:
1QwikBu said:
LS6 Tommy said:
"Myth Busted" ;)

Tommy

this is the kind of stuff i have HEARD. just didnt know if anyone had any personal experience. one of rons systems is a lot more$ than a carb so there has to be some way to justify the cost.

You have "heard" it and I have been there. I've seen dyno runs out he wazoo. I stand by my statement. "Myth Busted." Airflow is airflow. Fuel demand is fuel demand. In terms of straight out fuel metering based on airflow needs a carb will offer no less peak power than a FI system. Even FI companies (that are honset) will agree. A tenth or two here and thereris nothing more than driver error.

Tommy

A tenth or two here and therer is nothing more than driver error

...or better air

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!