Battery Charge

cac122988

Oct 8, 2008
I have a 78 malibu with charging problems. 3 month old battery and a 100 amp alternator tested and works but is not charging my battery. Runs at 10 to 11 volts and ideas?

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
10 to 11 volts is just running off the battery,where did the alt come from,who tested it and said it was good? Is this a replacement?
What happened to the original? Is the vehicle wiring intact or has it been messed with? That ought to get us started!!

cac122988

Oct 8, 2008
I measured my voltage at the battery and the alternator. But i looked on another forum and disconnected my negative ground and something is sending positive power to it when i checked it with a test light.

cac122988

Oct 8, 2008
I still have not figured out the problem something is pulling power and not charging my battery anyone know someone around grove city, ohio?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Start pulling fuses & see when the current draw stops. Then check the items fed by that fuse.

Tommy

cac122988

Oct 8, 2008
Could a bad starter not let the battery get a charge from the alternator since the alternator wire runs to the starter?

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
If the starter works it's fine,I'm guessing everything in the car works untill you run out of juice due to the alternator not charging?
Those things are so simple it is either a bad alternator or something in the field wiring (small two prong plug) as far as I remember the big red 10ga wire goes to the starter and then on to the fuse box and starter switch,I'm not positive about the field wires but I think one is hot ahd the other ground,the regulator is built in to the alternator,if it were me I'd slap another alternator on there and see what happens and if that don't fix it start looking into the wiring,Good Luck,KillerDave

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!