Wires with plugs, where do they go?

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
Okay, so i have a 79 malibu classic, there are no modifications, 267 v8 original, under the windshield washer container, that holds the fluid there is a green wire that comes out with a clear plug on the end, this wire is about maybe a foot long from the washer container towards the front of the car, it looks like it slips on to a male end. the plug is a female end. now there is a male end under the drivers side exhaust manifold and its out and im not sure if thats where it goes, and what it does. ALSO, this engine still has factory a/c, off the compressor that runs by the belt, on the conduit that runs along the drivers side valvecover, has a black wire that has a female end, but if i remember correctly it is a two prong (not sure if i said that right, but it looks like a double male can go in it.) this wire is only about 3 inches exposed, so it can't go far, Any idea where it goes? These are the only two plugs i don't have connected and don't know what they do.

malibu101

Frequent Racer
May 22, 2003
Walnutport PA
The green wire by the washer tank sounds like the horn wire.
Also there is (I believe) a green wire that goes to the temp sensor in the drivers side head.
Ground it and see if the temp light comes on. If it does not-put a voltmeter on it and blow the horn. I'm sure it's 1 of these 2.

abigda

Frequent Racer
May 19, 2007
Springfield, MA
Sounds like the horn wire to me

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
actually the horn is all hooked up so im gonna try the temp thing. because we had it plugged in there before, its below the drivers side header, i think.

406Monte

Dragway Regular
Nov 30, 2007
Hubert, NC
It sounds more like the wire that plugs into the cruise control or maybe the under hood light.

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
i dont have cruise control unless the original column had that, and there no under hood light either. im gonna try the grounding of the sensor and see, i actually have time to do it today haha.

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
when is the temp light supposed to be on i grounded it, and turn the key two clicks before oyu turn the engine over and as soon as i start to turn to start the car it will come on, and it does this even when its not grounded. i even tryed it with the green wire to it and off it, same thing. :?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
It's supposed to come on with the key in the "on" position before you carnk it . It's a "lamp test"

Tommy

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
okay well that worked as it should also with the wire on and off the connector, now im really stumped.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!