No High Beams

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
Felt something snap when trying for the high beams.

Searched around and found out that there's a plastic finger that engages the rod that is in the column that I suppose activates the high beam switch.

Things were a lot simpler when there use to be the foot switch on the left side of the floor board.

Suppose I now need a new directional switch that includes the plastic finger?

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
No, the directional switch and the pivot for the dimmer are different parts.

I will look for a good diagram.

In the meantime, look at the switch near the center of the column and see if it has broken. The rod sits in a hole in the switch and the switch housing is plastic.

Assuming you have a tilt column, the part at the lower right corner presses the pushrod.
s-l1600.jpg

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
Thanks for the pic. Correct it is a tilt wheel.

Appears that the same amount of disassembly is required as if the directional switch assembly was being replaced.

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
On the tilt columns push in on the steering wheel around 7-8 o clock. That will tell you if the bolts have backed out and need tighteningor they are stripped out. While pushed in normally a non working high beam will have enough engagement to work while pushed in on the steering wheel. if parts are broken or missing this will not help other than to diagnose a loose column.

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
I'll check it out. The parts in the pic look somewhat familiar, as the steering column was partially disassembled years ago to replace the look cylinder and directional switch assembly.

Thanks again for the info.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!