Some help for a first time swap

chevman81

Oct 17, 2009
I did alot of reading before I did my first swap and I got great info from malibu racing forums but I did have to learn alot on my own. Just some free info that might help everyone that is a first timer. I was trying to do this as cheap as possible so here it is: (this was in a 84 cutlass but all g bodies are the same)

1) I used a 4.8 out of a 2001 silverado
2) I used 1" setback motor mount plates and the truck Coil packs to fit without modification to the A/C heater box
3) With the 1" setback mounts, the truck power steering pump will fit without modification and the factory Oring car lines work with a little bending and tweeking
4) I used the GMPP muscle car pan, it fits nice, but still hangs a little low. If you talk to the parts guys at most gm dealers ask them for a wholesale price or have a buddy that works at a garage have him order it for you and its like $140 for everything. That is a good deal for pan, dipstick, tray, etc.
5) Truck accesories will fit under the stock hood, with the exception of the plastic vortec cover (if you cut and hack a little it will fit too). I did alot of measuring on all of my A & G bodies, a cutlass, a malibu, and a monte carlo, and the cutlass has the lowest hood clearance so the malibu and monte should fit even better.
6) The right side manifold fits very well and worked with no problem, driver side will not fit. I bought a F body driver manifold and worked perfect.
7) I used the factory vent line as a return, I just had to take out the sending unit, drill out the vent opening and use a vented gas cap. I flows fine and has no issues.
8) I used an off the shelf ford inline fuel pump, works great, I cant remember the part number off the top of my head but if you want to know just ask and I will look it up.
9) That is all I can remember but If you have a question just ask and I will answer you if I know or can help.
Alot of people always ask if you can do it cheap. I did buy A whole truck for 600 and that helped, but I really didnt use much from the truck but the accesories. I would highly recomend buying a motor with as much on it as posible. I have about 1300 in everything including harness and reflash.
I DID NOT USE AN A/C COMPRESSOR. That would require much more modification than I did. It could be done though with the parts I used. I dont have any pics But I will get some up soon.

Bill in NC

Top Fueler
Jan 1, 2004
Mocksville NC
That is a lot of great info in that post. Thanks for sharing

boostinmalibu

Dragway Regular
Sep 13, 2005
joplin missouri
Here is a link for the pan

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/LS-Series-Muscle-Car-Oil-Pan-Kit-19212593-P2410C121.aspx

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!