power steering hoses

80bu

Dragway Regular
Aug 19, 2004
Oak grove,mo
What kind of power steering hoses do you use for this swap? Did anyone use the fbody power steering cooler? Can I use any hose for the return and use malibu hose for the pressure?

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
You can use any line for the return as long as its oil resistant. For the pressure you can't use the malibu one because its not metric, and the power steering pump is. You can try to use a truck hose but it all depends what and where everything is.

Preacher

Daily Driver
Jan 3, 2012
This was one of the big pains in the butt with my swap. I had to get a custom high side (pressure) hose. Remember GM changed steering box (IIRC tapered seat to O ring) in 81 or 82.

Apathy93Z

Amateur Racer
May 24, 2003
Loveland, CO
On mine I used F-body accessories and 3rd Gen Camaro steering gear and pressure hose for a 99 s-10 with a 2.2 liter engine, bolted right up :)

z28krazy

Amateur Racer
Apr 10, 2010
New Braunfels, Texas
I machined a compression fitting out of a brass fitting, inserted it into the steering box and used an o-ring hose. Forget what it was originally for. Just take your old compression hose with you when you're ready to buy the o-ring hose and you're all set.

Preacher

Daily Driver
Jan 3, 2012
Yeah, I put a '79 Trans Am steering box in mine - so I had old school on one end of the hose and metric on the other.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!