4L80e in a G-body

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
I recently junked out my th350 and was wondering if anyone has ever installed a 80e into their car and what all was involved? Obviously I know there's going to be wiring that is going to have to be done for the 80's electronics, and I'll need to modify my cross member, but I was wondering if the physical size caused any problems?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I don't know how much work has been put into your current wiring setup... but with an LS1 you could get the correct harness and simply control it with your PCM... or just add the pins needed to the harness. Besides that it's basically like any other trans swap... correct crossmember and driveshaft, and you'll need to either do something for a mechanical speedo or convert to electronic.

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
I'm FI right now, so all the harness is there, and I've got a electric speedo right now.

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
I've heard there may be some clearance issues but nothing a hammer couldn't remedy. I just picked up a 6.0L LQ4 and it is set up for a 4L80E and wanted to know the same thing. From what I've read the trans is a lot like a Th400 with an overdrive. Apparently over on LS1Tech.com there are some guys who have done it.
Good luck!
Jess

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
NO clearance issues, did the swap with the 6.0L. you can get with speartech for the wiring harness to add to your computer and then have the computer reflashed. The part that is going to suck is getting a driveshaft made. Its a heavy thing, but almost bulletproof. Also, crossmember I used was from iceman. Good luck

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
I ended up going a totally different route, but either way It's going to work out for the best. I got a TH400 that has a shift kit for a really good price off of a friend. I'll still have to get the drive shaft cut and I'll have to change yokes, but I see everything as being "upgraded" so its not so bad when you look at it that way I guess. I don't think I would go through the extra $ and trouble to make another TH350 or a 4L60 work, but a 400 or 80e is worth it IMO.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!