best way to buy a 5.3/4.8/6.0

Japc74

Daily Driver
Feb 2, 2011
I am planning on building a 5.3 swap car. Don't have the car in mind yet, but I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers on the best way to buy an engine. A JY around where i'm from (STL,Mo) has a 5.3 for around 600 with everything. I have seen them on craigslist as cheap as 250( needing coil packs, intake,and wiring harness. also says needs an oil pump). Sorry if this is a long post but I basically want to know is it preferred to buy the engine complete or piecing it together. Thanks

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
I got my 6.0 complete because it was cheap. The advantage is that it is all there. In my case I'm going to swap the heads and intake and exhaust (amongst other things) I know I didn't want what it came with but I took it all because it wasn't expensive and I can maybe sell the parts I don't want to use in the future. Also because it is complete it means there are a ton of little clips fasteners and stuff all on the motor so I hopefully won't have to source them later.
Jess

bigmandengo

Weekend Racer
Apr 22, 2010
madison, wi
Definitely go for the complete motor. By the time you buy a harness, missing sensors, starter, alternator and misc items, you will be well over $600.

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
bigmandengo said:
Definitely go for the complete motor. By the time you buy a harness, missing sensors, starter, alternator and misc items, you will be well over $600.

Exactly.

I bought my engine as a long block and I did get a great deal on it (family price :D ) but I had to buy all the accessories, new balancer, intake, fuel rails, injectors, harness/PCM, and it had headers that were sold and I bough new ones. All together I ended up with $600+ in all the rest of the parts to make it run.

If you can't find a engine with the harness and PCM, at least hold out for a complete engine top to bottom.

Japc74

Daily Driver
Feb 2, 2011
Okay thanks a lot guys. I always hear of that magical deal when people get an engine for 3-400 bucks complete and either they are lucky or I'm lookin in the wrong spot because I haven't found it yet. But 650-700 isn't a bad price either especially with harness, PCM, ect.

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
I've seen 5.3's and 4.8's go for +- $400 complete, but I can never seem to find those deals when I'm actually looking lol. Must be a curse. If I get a good deal on something, it's either junk, or I find out its some kind of b*st*rd year/model whatever, and can't find parts for it and no one wants to buy it when I try and re-sell it.

Story of my life.

transformer2

Weekend Racer
Sep 16, 2006
St. Louis, MO
You need to watch the st. louis craigslist everyday and be ready to pull the trigger as soon as you see a complete set up. I saw a 5.3L on there in August of 2012 for $500 longblock with the ECM!!!
Also, don't be afraid to engage our area in a little friendly haggling! The 6.0L that I picked up was from the North county area and the guy started out at $1200. I originally contacted him to bargin and he was not up for it... 3 months later and 2 other calls with this guy, it was mine for $500 dancin_banana.gif
Be patient and wait for the deal you want and the 6.0L (go big or go home). You can see the condition of the engine I bought on my last post on my website (HotRodRegal.com).
Good luck in your hunt
-Matt

Japc74

Daily Driver
Feb 2, 2011
Yeah I'm pretty good at watching Craigslist. And that car engine and everything looks great Matt!! One day ill b able to do stuff like that, for now it's dreaming and school work!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts