Opinion needed

88nebSSP

Daily Driver
Apr 15, 2012
Omaha,NE
When swapping in a 5.3 do you guys find it easier and more cost effective to keep it FI and buy a computer/standalone system or to carb it and run the MSD 6LS box? If it matters it will eventually be a nitrous car and will be swapped into a 1978 Malibu wagon

Blue Knight

Frequent Racer
Mar 23, 2012
I just went through this myself....up front the factory fi is way cheaper (most engines come with what you need) but in order to modify it your pcm youll need a $700 tuning software and learning curve.
Or spend the cash and buy the vic jr and msd carb etc...

Ive had both, i swiched to a carb

bigmandengo

Weekend Racer
Apr 22, 2010
madison, wi
I've had both as well and I initially went carb then to fuel injection. I personally love the fuel injection and wish I wouldnt have wasted the money on the carb setup.

Blue Knight

Frequent Racer
Mar 23, 2012
bigmandengo said:
I've had both as well and I initially went carb then to fuel injection. I personally love the fuel injection and wish I wouldnt have wasted the money on the carb setup.

Ha isnt that funny.
Do you still live in madison?

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
I converted my 6.0L LQ9 to a carb setup, and I'm going to mount my Fast EZ EFI system on there. Should be interesting. I found the aftermarket stuff so expensive, unless you go the swap meet/salvageyard route, which I didn't want to do. Have yet to run it though.

Blue Knight

Frequent Racer
Mar 23, 2012
bigmandengo said:
Blue Knight said:
bigmandengo said:

Ha isnt that funny.
Do you still live in madison?

Sure do!

Im down here in janesville.

Blue Knight

Frequent Racer
Mar 23, 2012
88nebSSP said:
Well I already have a good friend that's a tuner here in town, I really appreciate all the input

Sorry for going off topic on you....

If you already have a tuner the factory fi is cheapest.
Lt1swap has instructions to convert a factory harness. (it works cause i did it)
Good luck

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Phillip used this place when he did his son's car
they reprogrammed the pcm and rewired the factory wiring harness all for $300. Hard to beat that deal

Last edited by a moderator:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!