Wrecked LS1 T56 Z28 - what do you think? Look..!

CruizinKev

Frequent Racer
There's a guy here selling a wrecked 2002 camaro Z28 LS1 with T56. I'm thinking of a engine/transmission swap for my 1979 Monte Carlo.

What do you think of it?

z281.jpg

z282.jpg

MVC-001F.jpg

MVC-002F.jpg

MVC-003F.jpg

MVC-004F.jpg

MVC-005F.jpg

I'm kinda afraid if the engine is okay? Afraid it took a direct hit on the crank pulley or so..

CruizinKev

Frequent Racer
you know I'm in Germany and those wrecked things are very rare. Even more the LS1 engines are hard to find over here. I just found it and it made me thinking ;)

I didn't see the car in person, these are pics the seller sent me. He told me the car doesn't run because the radiator is damaged

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
I would def. take it if the price was right... Finding those around here is impossible! I would love to do a 6 speed swap in my malibu!

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
I wished I coulda found one of them. You see if he'll give you a written warranty after its installed in the car, just to make sure it runs. What else...hmmm....get the center console, seats, and the shifter/brake handle and start the interior conversion. If the price is right on that, it'd be a good deal. I can't remember if the crank is forged or not, but you shoould be fine.

what else, I had some front end damage to my engine, it was teh crank pulley, adn drivers side accessories, but replaced the pulley and accessories and had no problem.

A

Anonymous

You could use the motor and trans and part the rest of the car out and make most of your money back. I would buy it if its a ok deal.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I'd personally pass on the console, it wouldn't flow with the rest of the interior (take a look at G-Body consoles for what I mean) imo. Craig (388bu) has a nice looking console setup in his Malibu with a T56.

But true, if you can get the whole car & part it out, you may be farther ahead. You can also use the gears/posi (if it has one) from the rearend in the rear of your Monte ;) You'll likely have to get new axles for it though because I believe those units are 28-spline.

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
that seams fair. engine/trans here in the states usually runs you 2200-3500 so yeah, thats fair. Seats, leather, run you a few hundred, another 100 for center console meh, easily make some money back. Then you have the pedal assembley you can modify yourself as well. strip what you can and sell it locally then give it back to the yard. Personally i'd not want the wheels anyway, as i belive you have to run spacers to make em fit. good find and good luck

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!