3100 Tuned Port T5

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Hi There,
I just thought I'd let you all know what I have in mind and see what you all think,I recently aquired a 92 Camaro RS with a 3100 Tuned Port,
or at least that's what it looks like,T5 trans and as best as I can figure from Richmond Gear's calculator it has a 3:73 rear end,This thing runs!
I mean it's not a Supercar by any means but is deffinatly fast enough to get in trouble with! and on top of that I've seen anywhere from 23 to 28 Mpg,the only problem is the car is rusty & crusty and don't take this wrong 4th gen guys but it annoys me very very much!!,The T-tops leak one spot drips on my left leg,don't have any room to move in it,
it's hard to get in and out of,I'm 49 with bad hips,and everything on it seems extra hard to work on as it is a used car so I've had to,on the other hand it is fun to drive,handles extremely well,of course the fuel milage,and it is pretty fast for a stock street car,sounds pretty good,
has a stock single exhaust with a two outlet muffler,don't know what it is as it's rusty as the rest of the car,no drone or weird noised,quiet when cruising,can hear it when you get on it as long as the stereo isn't too loud,so far the best thing I did was take the air horn off the filter can,it went from about 3" down to 1" or so,when you kick it you can hear it sucking air now!!,I'ts very responsive,redlines at 6grand but really quits pulling anound 4 but between 2 and 4 it's actuall quite fun to drive!!! Anyway it looks to me that it wouldn't be to much of a problem to transfer that drive train over to---- A Malibu!!! That way along with my Hot Rod Bu I could have an EconoBu that's fun to drive!!
According to Wikipedia the RS weighs 3175 and Malibus can go from
3100 to 3300 depending on how they're equiped so I shoud have approximatly the same performance in a car I actually like!!! Wouldn't that be great!!! Don't get me wrong if the thing wasn't all rusted out I probably wouldn't think of doing such a thing but I can't help myself,
whenever I'm driving it I think of how Great that drivetrain would be in a Malibu!!!! Let me know what you all think,All opinions are valued and will be considered very carefully! Thanks and have a pleasant day,night,
evening,morning or whatever the case may be!!!! Later,Dave

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
If you swap it into a 'Bu, get a TBI tank from a Monte, I don't know if those are TBI or multi port, just get the correct pump, make sure to run a return line, and it shouldn't be too hard of a swap. You probably won't see the mpg you did in the Camaro though since the 'Bu isn't quite as aerodynamic. You may also be able to just swap the gears from the Camaro in the 'Bu, unless you already have gears in it.

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Hey Doober,
Well I wouldn't mind loosing an MPG or to if it meant having that engine & trans combination in a car that I really like,did I mention the hood on that Camaro likes to pop open every once in a while? I bought a brand new GM hood latch and adjusted every which way imaginable and every once in a while with no warning you just kind of notice the hood just floating,kind of disconcerting at 70 or so,sometimes it won't happen for a couple three weeks sometimes it has happened three times in on day,I've been threatening to put hood pins on it but don't really want to waste the effort on that car,anyway since I have the whole car I was figuring I could probably adapt the pump/sender set up
out of the Camaro,as well as the clutch mc,lines etc.I was wnondering myself if the rear in the Camaro was a 7 1/2 or not,if it is I have a 7 1/2 limited slip that I pulled out of an 82 cop car a while back that would fit into that project,I've even read somewhere the the Camaro front anti sway bar will fit a Malibu and if I were to get the internal stops changed the steering gear box will be right at home as well!!!
Later,Dave

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
The reason I metioned the TBI tank/sender from a Monte is the fact that it's bolt-in. If the motor is multi-port, you could just put that pump in the Monte sending unit (though I would take this opportunity to put a new one in since they're a pain to change). I'm not sure what the clutch master is like on the 3rd gens, but any info you can find for the T-56 swaps on this site should have the info you need (bore/stroke may be different though, worth looking into). The Camaro does have a 7½", may be a 7 5/8" but it should still bolt-in, just make sure the spline counts are the same, I know there's some variance in there between some vehicles. I'm running a 34mm front bar from a 3rd gen on my Malibu, that, coupled with a rear bar & some Hotchkis springs (not to mention new shocks :lol:) made a WORLD of difference compared to what was on there before.

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Hey Doober,
I had thought of the later Monte tank but being cheap and lazy (as
not wanting to look around in junk yards) I figured modifying what I have made perfect sense to me,of course a new pump whenever I get around to tackling this project,as far as the MC goes seems to me I read a story on here somewhere about a T5 into a Monte and I believe he used all Camaro parts with a Bezdel pedal,of course being the modificating caracter I am as well as being cheap and lazy knowing me I'll probably try to make the Camaro pedals fit,knowing how GM does things I bet they're not that far off,other than the ring gear diameter do you have any idea how to tell the difference between a 7 1/2 and a 7 5/8 rear,personally I can't imagine those two being interchangeable,by the way thanks for the suggestions & comments I'm always open to ideas,also I might add I don't have the car to do this swap yet,I'm looking for the right one,All in time!!! Later,Dave

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Hey Doober,
I don't know if that's it or not but I'll shure look at it,Thanks

Hey Doubleobu,
It's deffinatly in my plans although It looks like I'm going to have a bit of a delay,had my left hip replace end of August this year,working great! But now my right is giving me fits! Gettin old sucks! But if I go in around the 1st of April and it works as good as the last one did I'll be back in action around the 1st of June,wish me luck and thanks for the support as I think It'll be a fun everyday driver! Later,Dave

78mali350

Amateur Racer
Nov 12, 2008
Helena, AR
sounds like a really fun project! hope you can get it done and your hip stuff goes well

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Hey 78mali350,
Thanks Man! Only time will tell !!! Later,Dave

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts