anybody using water/methanol injection??

gboy09

Daily Driver
Mar 22, 2009
i am build a sbc with a single turbo and was told to use a water/methanol kit instead of using intercoolers. i will primarly use the car for the street but will be taken to the strip whenever one opens up in missouri.. im just looking for some tips and info. thanks

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
Many have used it with success many have blown up.
Straight water is very safe.
Alky/water depends, if you need to run three nozzles to get fuel, (alky is absorbs heat and is a fuel) if on nozzle gets plugged you could go instantly lean.

Using a a/a there is nothing mechanical to fail.
W/A is the best but again you add more parts to the system.

Last pump gas will only support so much hp, get stupid and turn it up too much and your motor will fit nicely into a 5 gallon buck.

psychomotors

Dragway Regular
Mar 31, 2011
Bonne Terre, Mo
Sikeston is still open and I havnt used one but plan to when I get my twin turbo setup done. From what I have read, windshield washer fluid works about as good as anything on the market. Check out http://www.theturboforums.com for more info.

Overkill

Daily Driver
Apr 27, 2009
Damascus, MD
Ive run an AIS water injection system, an A/A IC and now a W/A IC. The AIS water injection had 3 nozzles for my twin set up. Definately knocked my AI temps down, but I honestly think a A/A coole is best for a street application. Running windshield washed fluid around all the time on the street probably isnt the most efficient way to go. And for street you definately dont want to run W/A, to much maintenance plus once the ice melts the efiiciency changes too much.

A little off topic, but I always wondered for pure drag racing, why not just run straight alcohol as the fuel, you wouldnt need any kind of supplemental intake cooling then.

DeltaT

Dragway Regular
Oct 28, 2003
Nor Cal
A little off topic, but I always wondered for pure drag racing, why not just run straight alcohol as the fuel, you wouldnt need any kind of supplemental intake cooling then.

If you want to run pure meth, you need to plan on purging your fuel system after every race night with gasoline - it's corrosive as heck. I've seen guys meth in all winter and have most of their fuel system fittings eaten away by spring. It also requires pretty much an oil change after every race night too.

Other than that, it's great. :)

Jim

Overkill

Daily Driver
Apr 27, 2009
Damascus, MD
DeltaT said:

If you want to run pure meth, you need to plan on purging your fuel system after every race night with gasoline - it's corrosive as heck. I've seen guys meth in all winter and have most of their fuel system fittings eaten away by spring. It also requires pretty much an oil change after every race night too.

Other than that, it's great. :)

Jim

Yeah, and, but I said for a pure drag racing application whats the big deal draining your tank if it will help make more power and or safer tune up. Ive owned and still own several methanol carts for over 15 years and we currently run M5, meth is corrosive, all you need to do is run a small tank under the hood with a petcock, draining takes no time and all in all it would be much cheaper and more efficient than all the intercooler costs Ive spent over the years with A/A and A/W. Plus with A/W you still have to get a bunch of ice for evey race, bring it to track, fill up between runs, and drain the water anyway. Meth is cheaper than C16 and Q16. Just sayin : )

pkstang

Daily Driver
Nov 28, 2011
central mass
mustang guys run mostly windshield fluid or like myself, snow's boost juice which is premixed. i have noticed that the buick guys are big on running pure meth and can't comment on the advantages of pure meth vs a 50/50, but should point out some of the issues that i think LOT of people are not aware of when handling pure methanol...

one of them is blindness and i’m sure you’re all wearing safety glasses when handling this stuff. it takes very little to cause vision damage

another one is this little thing called direct absorption through skin… so just being exposed to it can come into play

and one of my favorites… pure methanol is easy to ignite and burns with an almost invisible flame... have fun putting it out or waiting for help since no one can see the flame

my turbo mustang which makes low 700s to the tires has an a/a intercooler, and i run the snow performance stage 2 kit and their safe injection which if there’s a clog, no fluid, etc automatically shots down my AMS500 electronic boost controller and the additional timing that’s activated when the meth comes on. i run dual nozzles, 625 and 375, that add up to 1000ml/min, which is more of an overkill at 15-17# but plan on pushing the boost into 20s. the good thing is that my EGTs are lower at 15# with meth than when i run of the gate, 10#, and no meth

pk

1988montecarloss

Amateur Racer
Feb 21, 2009
milford maine
pkstang said:
mustang guys run mostly windshield fluid or like myself, snow's boost juice which is premixed. i have noticed that the buick guys are big on running pure meth and can't comment on the advantages of pure meth vs a 50/50, but should point out some of the issues that i think LOT of people are not aware of when handling pure methanol...

one of them is blindness and i’m sure you’re all wearing safety glasses when handling this stuff. it takes very little to cause vision damage

another one is this little thing called direct absorption through skin… so just being exposed to it can come into play

and one of my favorites… pure methanol is easy to ignite and burns with an almost invisible flame... have fun putting it out or waiting for help since no one can see the flame

do you have to worry about these things when running windshield washer fluid? i plan on putting a meth kit on my 12.5:1 355 and had planned on running windshield washer fluid and would like to know more about it

pkstang

Daily Driver
Nov 28, 2011
central mass
no worries wiht the premixed stuff

i personalyl like the snow stuff as i know its quality and then keep it in a dark area. who knows where, how long and how the windshield washer stuff has bene stored so just an added level of safety for few buck more. $0.02

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!