142 blower?

A

Anonymous

Will a 142 roots type blower fit under a stock 88 monte carlo hood?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I believe so, someone on here has a small block with one, but I don't know if he has a cowl hood.

*edit*
He goes by Damon here on the board.

A

Anonymous

on my 79 cutlass i needed to have a 2 inch cowl hood just because you want a good breathing air cleaner i had a drop base and i think it was a 3 inch filter

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
i have a b&m 162 blower on a 81 malibu and i had to get a 4 in cowl hood so i could have a good air cleaner aswell.
Do you have any problems with your engine running hot?

Damon

Pro Stocker
Feb 7, 2005
Philly Area
No.

I have the 142 in my 78 Malibu and it barely fits under a 2-1/2" cowl hood even after playing plenty of air cleaner games. The Monte might have a smidge more hood clearance to start with than my Malibu, but expect no miracles.

They call them "underhood blowers" but in reality they are "under big cowl induction hood blowers." Maybe you could fit them under the stock hood of, say, a 55 Chevy, but nothing from the modern age.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I don't know what blower it was, but I have an article from many, many years ago covering a G-Body Malibu with an underhood blower and stock hood... I think. I haven't looked at it in years, so I'd have to track it down, but I'm pretty sure it was just a stock hood.

jrm81bu

Frequent Racer
Jul 17, 2006
Antwerp, Ohio
Mine fit under the stock hood of an 87 Caprice, I put a couple wheel washers between the hood and hinge. Definetly won't fit under the Malibus hood though.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
you could also get a drop base for your air cleaner, what kind of boost are you getting with that 142? with what heads?

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Doober said:
I don't know what blower it was, but I have an article from many, many years ago covering a G-Body Malibu with an underhood blower and stock hood... I think. I haven't looked at it in years, so I'd have to track it down, but I'm pretty sure it was just a stock hood.

Probably used a front/mid plate then and dropped it down.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts