What's everyone think of this Supercharger?

Tony_SS

MalibuRacing Junkie
Apr 21, 2004
Washington, MO
www.mac-ink.com
I was dreaming of something fun I could do with the GM 350/330hp crate I have in the Monte.. It runs at 9.1 : 1 comp.

What about this supercharger?

1554.jpg

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/superchargers/superchargers.shtml

Would it be a good match for the crate engine?

Found out a little more. Its actually made by Magna. Its an MP122 which is an OEM unit for the 4.8 to 6.0 LS engines. They claim 40% increase so I would be at around 462 hp which would be pretty fun for a street cruiser.

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/mp112.htm

SURESHOT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 29, 2008
LONG ISALND NEW YORK
that sounds like a fun combo crate motor and a supercharger what is the cost of that unit ?

355_79bu

Dragway Regular
Dec 13, 2005
Cotter, AR
I had tossed around the idea of running that supercharger. I was concerned with fitting it under the hood. I know it would fit under a 4" cowl, but I am still not sure whether or not I want a cowl hood or not. I do not think there is anyway of fitting it under a flat hood without cutting a hole in it 80's style or dropping the engine down further in the chassis. I decided to wait until I hit it rich :roll: and go Procharger.

It would be fun though. It should work out nice with the crate motor. I say go for it. It would be a torque monster! And you would have that nice supercharger whine!

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
its a dinosour.......
Id opt for a procharger as a power adder

Tony_SS

MalibuRacing Junkie
Apr 21, 2004
Washington, MO
www.mac-ink.com
I haven't looked into ProChargers much, but the reason this setup sounds good is for power on demand and drivability reasons, also, it sounds a lot simpler to tune and keep tuned than a turbo setup.

I'm not sure on the weight but AFAIK these aren't like the old roots blowers, the are about half the size and a lot more efficient.
Magnuson MP122 superchargers are designed to provide more horsepower per pound of boost. They feature an internal bypass valve, practically eliminating parasitic loss, and consume less than 1/3 of 1 hp at 60 mph.

As for the clearance issue. I had thought about cutting a hole in the stock hood and doing a satin black shaker type hood instead of trying to stuff it all under a cowl. Now how high that shaker would end up being is something I'd have to look into.

It's all still a wet dream though... I figure about $3g in the swap, which should be a whole lot less than a ProCharger setup?? But either way, I like the idea and might consider working toward it unless there's a more suitable route.

jrm81bu

Frequent Racer
Jul 17, 2006
Antwerp, Ohio
Edelbrock is selling that in crate motor form on top of the zz4 short block. They claim 500+ hp out of it.
That design isnt the best but its more efficient than mine!

Oh man, scratch the edelbrock crate motor they want over 12k for it. :shock:

A

Anonymous

pro chargers would be an expensive build, and i think turbo would be or a big blower build.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
i've got a b&m 162 and it's fun as hell. trust me you'll love it, smokes the hides at will!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!