6-71 vs 8-71 for BBC?

hp3445

Amateur Racer
Jan 25, 2009
Southern NJ
I am going to install a BBC into my 86 Regal shortly. I know I want to put a S/C ontop.. and I was just wondering has anybody had an experience good or bad with either one. (6-71 vs 8-71) It is not going to be a race car, just a weekend cruiser... I don't care about the gas mileage so much.. I know it will be crap.. but how about premium pump gas? Will it run right? Please don't tell me go turbo... I want a S/C sticking out of the hood for that Ye Ole Muscle Car Look and Sound (this is the only whining I wanna hear!!!)..... I know about the pistons and the compression issue.. and ..Yes the internals will be forged. .

I have a friend that builds BBC Alky Dragsters but they are mostly for the 1/4 mile.. I want something I can cruise in.. and stop at the local Dairy Queen and have the import look at what a MONSTER looks and sounds like.. jawdrop.gif

Attachments

• 34sedanchasis.jpg
    34sedanchasis.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 4,260
A

Anonymous

im running a big block 489 stroker steel 4.250 eagle crank, eagle forged 6.385 rods, srp 4.280 forged flat top pistons, patriot 320cc heads (manley severe duty valves, arp studs, titanium retainers, comp cam springs), weiand 871 blower, barry grant 800cfm blower carbs.

use 91 octane gas and made 815 HP with rusty 1 7/8" headers, should be 850 with the 2" coated headers i got.

hp3445

Amateur Racer
Jan 25, 2009
Southern NJ
roughskinjrz said:
im running a big block 489 stroker steel 4.250 eagle crank, eagle forged 6.385 rods, srp 4.280 forged flat top pistons, patriot 320cc heads (manley severe duty valves, arp studs, titanium retainers, comp cam springs), weiand 871 blower, barry grant 800cfm blower carbs.

use 91 octane gas and made 815 HP with rusty 1 7/8" headers, should be 850 with the 2" coated headers i got.

MAN THAT ROCKS!! =D>

I'm so glad to hear something good about the 8-71.. I don't wanna hear turbo! (sorry guys) Im gonna do it the way that I was planning.. BBC with 8-71. I'll keep every posted with photo on my profile.

boost freak

Amateur Racer
Nov 27, 2008
monroe,GA
ive been studing these blowers for awhile now. and from what ive read with the price and power its just best to just get the 871 and be done with it... 8)

hp3445

Amateur Racer
Jan 25, 2009
Southern NJ
boost freak said:
ive been studing these blowers for awhile now. and from what ive read with the price and power its just best to just get the 871 and be done with it... 8)

Ahhhhh.... Thanks .. My thoughts exactly!!

quickie70

Weekend Racer
Feb 20, 2008
Denver, CO
I run a 14-71, but I can vouch for an 8-71 on a big block. The problem with the 6 on the big engines is that you have to run them fast to pump enough air to keep it fed. 8-71 is a sweet street blower. you can use a standard distributor, and there's tons of support for them. Avoid the 10-71 and 12-71 because if you chew up a rotor, they are harder to find.
I've never run a street blower... all of my stuff has been blown/alcohol injected, but I imagine the same stuff applies. It's easy to overcam a blower engine. Run a cam on the small side of what you would run N/A. The more lobe center, the better. The 112 and 114 centers will keep the boost in the cylinders longer, thus building more power. Boost on these prefer smaller stroke, so don't stroke your junk to the moon. They have a tendency to bend forged cranks and break cast ones.
I made over 1,000 HP with a 468 and an 8-71, and my current setup is around 1300-1400 with the 14-71... and it's a bunch of junk parts honestly.

hp3445

Amateur Racer
Jan 25, 2009
Southern NJ
quickie70 said:
I run a 14-71, but I can vouch for an 8-71 on a big block. The problem with the 6 on the big engines is that you have to run them fast to pump enough air to keep it fed. 8-71 is a sweet street blower. you can use a standard distributor, and there's tons of support for them. Avoid the 10-71 and 12-71 because if you chew up a rotor, they are harder to find.
I've never run a street blower... all of my stuff has been blown/alcohol injected, but I imagine the same stuff applies. It's easy to overcam a blower engine. Run a cam on the small side of what you would run N/A. The more lobe center, the better. The 112 and 114 centers will keep the boost in the cylinders longer, thus building more power. Boost on these prefer smaller stroke, so don't stroke your junk to the moon. They have a tendency to bend forged cranks and break cast ones.
I made over 1,000 HP with a 468 and an 8-71, and my current setup is around 1300-1400 with the 14-71... and it's a bunch of junk parts honestly.

=D>
This is what I talking about.. all this info is great! I am taking this all in for a kickin motor..
I have a good base for what I want to do now!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!