Total Frustration.....

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
I tell ya', I'm really getting frustrated with this swap. I cannot get the motor and trans in (when together), the oil pan keeps hitting the crossmember, preventing it from sliding in. What did you guy do, especially those using the deeper truck pan???

So yesterday I tried installing the trans first, using the transmission crossmember as the reference point for mounting everything. Still having problems. I got the motor to partially drop in place, but it looks like the front of the sump is touching or very close to touching the back of the crossmember. I may have some adjustment left in the crossmember, the hole is a long slot for the mount. I got so frustrated at that point that I walked away before I started to get stupid.

I was under the impression that using the transmission crossmember as the reference point would move the motor back about 1", but it appears that it remained in the "stock" location. At this point, I'm not sure what I'm going to do?? I'm almost ready to sell this pan and get a modified F-body pan from S&P. ](*,) ](*,)

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
Mine slid right in with the truck pan, its not a one man job, you have to have the car jacked up, and the motor picked from the front to get alot of angle. Thats why I choose to tack weld the mounts in, I didnt have the patience to set it and pull it back out

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
I really don't want to modify the crossmember, because it is a new one from Iceman. It is one of the new lightweight chromoly versions:
New%20Lightweight%20Crossmember.jpg

I guess my next step will be to lower the motor in place, then lift the transmission in place and bolt them together and see how that goes. I just had to walk away for a while because I was getting VERY frustrated.

Man, it was MUCH easier bolting a BBC into my old Malibu!! But then again, I didn't have a heater box to deal with....

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
I'd say save yourself the trouble and just notch the back of the cross member out or cut it out and replace it with a pipe. Also if you reference from the trans I have heards that usually puts the motor in the stock location, at least that is the exact reason my friend did it in his 67 that way. Maybe you could put the motor in with the trans and let it go back farther and just use a frame extension to get the cross member for the trans to work. Just my $0.02
-Josh

TOMS78BU

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 13, 2007
gadsden, alabama
MalibuRacing said:
I really don't want to modify the crossmember, because it is a new one from Iceman. It is one of the new lightweight chromoly versions:

I guess my next step will be to lower the motor in place, then lift the transmission in place and bolt them together and see how that goes. I just had to walk away for a while because I was getting VERY frustrated.

Man, it was MUCH easier bolting a BBC into my old Malibu!! But then again, I didn't have a heater box to deal with....

i think he meant the crossmember under the oil pan. you could cut the middle section out, box it, and weld in a piece of tubing across the opening. then you will have way more room to fit the oil pan. i saw lou do it on musclecar once.

wiseman79

Top Fueler
Dec 18, 2004
Central Virginia
www.performancetech.net
TOMS78BU said:
MalibuRacing said:

i think he meant the crossmember under the oil pan. you could cut the middle section out, box it, and weld in a piece of tubing across the opening. then you will have way more room to fit the oil pan. i saw lou do it on musclecar once.
That would be my suggestion too, you'll never regret having the extra clearance- should save some weight too though that doesn't sound like a priority in this build.

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
Yes I meant the cross member under the engine. They should all be taken out, it makes it impossible to drop the oil pan when the engine is bolted in there. I'd say just make that modification and in the future if you ever have to get down there and replace something or work on the motor you'll have a lot more options.
-Josh

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
I'm sure I'll get :x for this, but there's NO WAY I'd cut the engine/suspension crossmember out on a street driven car. They fold up easily enough as it is if there's any kind of a side hit.

Nobody plans on having their car in a crash, but it does happen, moreso with younger/less experienced drivers. Not necessarily their fault, they just tend to be less aware of potential idiots running into them.

jerrycad472

Daily Driver
Jan 28, 2008
Grosse Ile, MI
I dropped in my LS1 / 6spd in one piece. I am using a John B Pan.

1) My front clip was off
2) Air Cond/heater box was not on the firewall
3) My exhaust Manifolds were off
4) Trans cross member was removed
5) I had to remove the starter because is was catching on the engine mounts
6) I had the front of the car up on ramps
7) I had to pick up the motor/trans at a pretty steep angle get it in.
8) It took a few tries, I had to sit the Pan on the cross member a few times and adjust the Angle.

Take a breather and try it again, you will get it. Good Luck!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!