TCC brake pedal wiring

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
As you know, if running a 4L60E or 700R4, etc, the torque converter locks. It must be "unlocked" or disengaged when the brake pedal is pressed. By searching on LS1Tech.com, I found a cheap and easy solution:

A brake switch for a 1996 Camaro or Firebird (other years and models may work?). It costs only $5.99 and fits in the stock Malibu switch mount with NO modifications.

It will control the brake lights and the TCC circuit to unlock the torque converter when the brake pedal is pressed. Here's a picture with some instructions:

brake_switch_2.JPG

I haven't wired it up yet, but should work great. I will post pictures when I actually wire it into place.

wiseman79

Top Fueler
Dec 18, 2004
Central Virginia
www.performancetech.net
I've got the identical part going into my vette for the 2004r swap. What are you doing about a shifter, going aftermarket? I am using a conversion kit that converts the factory shifter to the proper detents and selector display, is there anything comparable for a G-body?

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
I got a console and shifter out of a 2001 Camaro:
console.jpg

I'm hoping that the factory Camaro shifter cable will work. [-o< I still need to go to the dealership and buy the cable.

Deuce4935

Frequent Racer
Nov 19, 2007
Chicago, Il
wiseman79 said:
I've got the identical part going into my vette for the 2004r swap. What are you doing about a shifter, going aftermarket? I am using a conversion kit that converts the factory shifter to the proper detents and selector display, is there anything comparable for a G-body?
Shiftworks.com has the shifter conversion kits you need when swtching from the 350/400 trans to an overdrive unit. I used one on my 78' Malibu with the 200-4r trans. You could also use the tcc lockup kit that ebay, and summit sells and it plugs in the side of the 200-4r, and 700r4 trans with a 12v and ground connection.

malibu9in

Pro Stocker
May 30, 2003
college station texas
used the same switch years ago!!! should have asked!!! J/K...you may want to reconsider the console with the ebrake on the side. Its more trouble then its worth. i tried it as well ...to much work for no performance? Good luck.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Deuce4935 said:
Shiftworks.com has the shifter conversion kits you need when swtching from the 350/400 trans to an overdrive unit. I used one on my 78' Malibu with the 200-4r trans. You could also use the tcc lockup kit that ebay, and summit sells and it plugs in the side of the 200-4r, and 700r4 trans with a 12v and ground connection.

I would go with both personally. I was dealing with a mess concerning the speedo/lockup converter in my '88 pickup years ago and discovered the brake switch disengaged the TCC, even when you forced the TCC to lock up through the ALDL port under the dash.

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
Hey Phillip, when you get to the E-brake stuff remember lokar. I used their ebrake kit to mount an 85 camaro console ebrake in the center of my elky. it was simple and fast. and if you can mount a shifter to the tunnel you can mount an ebrake. good luck, if you want any pictures or advice let me know
-Josh

schoust

Daily Driver
May 31, 2009
Ct. litchfield County (Bethlehem)
Wow now we are talking! I have an 85 ElComino that I am swapping in a 350 and 700r4 combo and it looks like you guys have it covefed here! I have to ask though guys what is the cheapest easiest way to do this install? I like the consalook for sure and will go that way for sure and if the Lokar cable works I might go that way to. Thanks Guys
Ralph

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!