Engine bearings

T56elcamino

Weekend Racer
Aug 16, 2008
Opelousas, LA
I was driving my car today and my engine started squeeking and I've heard this very distinct squeek before and I know what it is. So I shut off the engine as fast as I could and pulled over and towed my car home. I was wondering if anyone has changed there bearings with the motor still assembled. Basically the motor has less than 5000 miles on it and it is a 388 SBC with AFR eliminator heads. I'm hoping to just take the engine and trans out of the car and with it in the air take the pan off and take the caps off and inspect the crank. If there is no significant damage I would like to just swap the bearings and put the motor back in and try it again. Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated!

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
i did it. pretty much have to knock the pistons to the top of the cylinders and just be very careful pulling the crank out. It would be best to have a buddy there to help putting it back in.

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
X2 I'd be wanting to find out what's going on. Shouldn't need bearings in 5000 miles unless there's a clearance issue or oiling issue. Either way the motor needs to come out and be thoroughly checked out to find the problem.

j&amotorsports

Amateur Racer
Apr 11, 2008
laurel springs nj
3x pull motor if disassembling. Did Oil pressure drop ? have you drained the oil & filter yet cut open your filter inspect it . good luck please keep us informed of findings.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
X4 on the engine pull. Why would you want to keep repeating the bearing failure?

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts