gbody 7.5 rear end can it take power

1978chevymalibu

Daily Driver
Sep 2, 2010
Goodyear arizona
just wondering how much power a 7.5 rear end will take i have heard alot of mixed answers i do have a friend with a 78 malibu with 500 hp running supposibly on a 7.5 welded with gears i know it runs 10.90s in the 1/4 but not sure about the rear end i have recently built a 388ci stroker estimated for around 480hp and around the same torque it is 10.6 to 1 comp crower flat tappet cam around .590 lift and duration is close to 300degrees with dart pro 1 series alumin heads victor jr manifold holley 850 carb im gonna take it to the track on slicks next sat to see what i run but just wondering what to expect with a 7.5 rear end 3.73 richmond gears with the spiders welded so comments or input would be nice

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
You really don't want to hear my comments especially welding the spiders. Sounds like you have a lot of $$ in your car, don't chinch now. Do it once make it right - think safe.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
"Can a 7.5" rear take power?" in a word, No. They have a hard enough time handling the "power" of a stock 305... Do people get away with runnng them? Yes, but as they say, "Your mileage may vary".

Tommy

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
do a search and you'll hear a ton of horror stories...one includes a member who's axle broke and did some serious damage to the car on its way out of the housing! i've been there, broke an axle on my 2nd trip to the track with it. there is no worse feeling than pulling up to the line with that thought haunting you..."is it going to break?". put a better rear end in it and forget about it.

83LSWagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
I put 28 splin mosers, and an Auburn from an LT camaro in mine, and it lasted until I twisted the tube out of it with the T56 on dry pavement. As for the stock center, I tore the spiders out in the rain with an auto.

1978chevymalibu

Daily Driver
Sep 2, 2010
Goodyear arizona
thanks for all input fellas my next upgrade is to a 9inch most likely but i do plan on spending some $$$ on that but i am gonna see if i can break the 7.5 this weekend but thanks for the advice much appreciated

abigda

Frequent Racer
May 19, 2007
Springfield, MA
I wouldn't recommend trying to break it, I got lucky and just broke the ring gear when mine let go. C-clip axles do have the possibility of coming out at the track. With slicks your walking a fine line, these rears normally let go quick when it hooks. At least in my experience

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
Why would you try to break it?? I have seen quit a few rears break and it usually comes with a lot of damage from the axles coming out and taking out a quarter, hitting the wall, and one time hitting the other car. As I said earlier - think safe!!

464elcamino

Amateur Racer
Mar 28, 2010
alton illinois
Three years now with mine and lovin it that everyone knocks them (Loves to prove People wrong) . Just build it right it will last . Welded gears wont do it . Get bigger axles and a better carrier. It makes me laugh when everyone worries about the rear and doesnt upgrade the driveshaft or run a loop, Now that to me is the weakest of all links in a decent power build, And the most dangerous for you and others.

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
5 years on mine,, I had about $600 to find a 8.5 but could not find one,,, so I bought Moser 26 spline axles, ARP wheel studs, Richmond 4.11's and a "used" Auburn LS carrier, so far so good, My used Auburn is starting to give up though, she will only spin one wheel at the track, but on the street she spins both :lol: :lol: My 7.5" has not gernaded yet! I am probably one of the lucky ones! Still trying to find a 8.5 GN REASONABLY priced!
In the mean time........................................................................................
I am LOOKING for a Series 2 Auburn carrier to replace the one I got,,,,Anyone got one??
PM me pics and price!!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!