1978 cutlass original 5 speed

klopper92

Jan 17, 2007
greer south carolina
ok so my dad has a 78 cutlass salon with the original 5 speed. it is a borg warner t50 unit which is locked in third gear. i am wondering how rare this car is and if there is anyone out there that provides parts for that particular trans. i was going to use the trans in another project car but need a few parts for it. but from my searching on the internet have realized that there are very few manual trans g bodys out there. does anyone have any info bout these cars or if its worth restoring or should we just part it out.

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
I don't know what a Salon is,rear wheel drive or front? If it's a cool car (rear drive) it's worth restoring,repairing or playing with,very few manual trans G-bodies? I have two,Malibus actualy,one factory and one conversion and there are bunches more out there,T50 trans is a paperweight and that is being very kind,you can probably find parts and repair it but any kind of performance driving and you'll just break it again,there are plenty of alternatives,T5,Tremec,T56,Muncies & T10 four speeds,It just depends on what you want to do! KillerDave

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
It only came behind the 260 Olds engine in the Cutlass, so it should last when repaired. I would suggest keeping the car original since it is not a common package. It is the same transmission used in the Cosworth Vega as well as Monzas and related H bodies, though the internal gear ratios may be different.

klopper92

Jan 17, 2007
greer south carolina
heres a few shots of it i took with my cell a while back. u are correct that it has the 260 engine. it also had a peg leg 2.56 10 bolt so im gonna assume that first gear in the trans is very low to get the car moving.

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Cool,That's one of those Buttless Cutlasses they were talking about on another thread in here!! It ought to be worth messin with if you like it!!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!