Exhaust on factory stick car

xxxx

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2006
Iowa
Any of you guys got a factory manual car? What kind of manifolds/headers are you running? I really don't want headers that are hanging down too far underneath the car. Anybody running shorty headers?

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Stock manifolds work.
Edelbrock TES work, but require a y-pipe.
Hooker 2050 work, but the O2 sensor needs to be moved to work and require a y-pipe.
Hooker 2451 work.
Hedman 68310/68311 work.

There may be a few more.

xxxx

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2006
Iowa
Do you know if the early chevy ram horn (center dump) manifolds will work. I really am not a fan of headers, but it will probably be the best way to go. By the way thanks for the info you've already posted. What did your transmission come out of? Right now all I've got is the factory 3 speed that came with it, been looking for a saginaw 4 speed, but would love to put a 5 speed in it.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I don't think the ram's horn manifolds will work.

My T5 is from a 1989 F body.

As long as you keep your bellhousing, you can use any GM transmission

The Hedman headers do not hang down low.

xxxx

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2006
Iowa
Did you have to modify the trans tunnel opening to make the T5 work?

chop57

Frequent Racer
Oct 26, 2008
g-town mass
I used the Hooker 2451 on my car. I used the factory bell housing, clutch fork, z bar etc. with my m21 muncie. They fit like a glove. If you need any pics talk to doober, he had a thread going with some very helpful pics that helped me during my build.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Ram's Horns are generally Vette manifolds & fit very few other chassis. They're almost, if not all, center outlet manifolds so they'd interfere with the frame on a G-body.

Tommy

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
Rams Horn's from a Truck may work. They're center dump but, the connection is angled rearward. Center may still be too low & interfere with X-member tho'.

These are the same Manifolds as on my 71 C10.
Right >> http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=14211
Left >> http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=14213

xxxx

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2006
Iowa
Thanks again guys for all the input. I do appreciate the help. I really hate buying parts that won't work. Hopefully my project Elky will be roadworthy by next spring, if Obamanomics don't bankrupt me before then. lol

By the way SSedan64, nice car in the avatar. I've got one of those (sport coupe not SS) myself, but it is far from being streetworthy, and unfortunately down on my list of priorities for now.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts