7.5 REAR

dwelch

Daily Driver
Aug 1, 2012
:D I HAVE A CHANCE TO BUY A GM FACTORY POSI FROM A 82 MALIBU HEAVY DUTY POLICE CRUISER. SERIES 2. RIGHT NOW IT WILL BE BEHIND A STOCK 350 BUT I PLAN TO BUILD A 370 HP 350 LATER. NO SLICKS, JUST 245/70/15 STREET TIRES. I'LL PROBABLY PUT BETTER AXELS IN. MY SOURCE SAYS THE FIRST THING TO GO WILL BE AXELS, THEN SPIDERS, THEN R&P. I LIKE TO ROMP ON OFTEN. THINK IT'LL HOLD UP? THANKS

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
IMO doing anything to a 7.5" is wasting money. Others will say they've been running 9.00 on one for 100 years. The 7.5" was desgined to go in a Monza with a V6...

Tommy

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i think it could live on the street. but, as tommy said, spending money on it is sort of a waste, and money that could be put towards a better rearend.

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
I would go with it if you are getting it for a steal, and if it breaks just get another one for cheap. I wouldn't toss money in one like everyone else is saying. My cousin has a mild 350, broke one 7.5 and ended up finding one for free, swapped it in and kept driving.

81rustabu

Dragway Regular
Apr 16, 2011
pinckney,MI
It will work for awhile but i wounldnt spend that much money on it imo.

Grcrygtr44

Frequent Racer
Feb 1, 2013
Ontario Ny
Majority rules, I agree. I used to break axles with a 7.5 rear only goin high 13s. 3 of them to be exact. Then the last time I did it, I spit the axle 1/2 track in the 1/8th and did all I could to keep er straight since your first reaction is to brake to slow the car down but guess what... When your brake drum comes out with the axle and tire, NO BRAKES! Not a good time! Managed to keep er under control till it sparked to a stop. A guy saw it happen and came up to me and offered me a GN rear with moser axles,spool,c-clip elims,and the upper and lower adj arms for $1200 since he just tubbed his elky with a 9". Went and got it that night and the rest is history. Goin mid 10s now with a 1.45 60' on Mickey street et radials. I'd spend a lil more now instead of alot later! Oh and btw, I got lucky cuz it only put a small ding in my quarter lip but the axle did scratch the hell out of my rocker Panel and lower door. The potential for alot of body and paint damage is there! Let alone the possibility of getting into a wreck!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,196

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts