what size stock camshaft? ????'s

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
I have a 1978 monte Carlo with a stock sbc 305 engine with a 2 barrel carb and the camshaft needs to be replaced what is the stock camshaft lift ratio and is there a aftermarket camshaft that I can get to install in my stock 305 this is my daily driver? Thanks

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I'd go with sum-k1102 that includes camshaft and lifters. It is a little bigger than stock but not much.

~JM~

Weekend Racer
Aug 28, 2011
I would look for a mild performance camshaft. If you are going through all the work to replace the cam, lifters & then break-in the camshaft correctly, you might as well enjoy a bit more performance.

What type of oil are you running? The leading cause of flat-tappet camshafts failing is the newly reformulated motor oil that is now on the market. The EPA has required that the oil refineries reduce the amount of zinc content along with some other additives. The zinc is very important for high pressure wear areas such as the cam lobe & lifter interface.

You should consider running either a diesel engine oil like Delo-400, Rotella or one of the "racing" oils that are intended for off-road use only. These oils still have a higher zinc content than conventional motor oils. You can also purchase a zinc additive to add to whatever oil that you choose. Check out ZDDP. When you first start the engine with the new cam-shaft, add a break-in additive that has a high level of zinc, such as ZDDP, Lucas, GM EOS, etc. Follow the camshaft manufacturers break-in procedure & keep the engine RPM above 2500 for 20-30 minutes. The engine may become hot & you will have to shut it down midway to cool. Once cool, continue with the break-in procedure. With a proper break-in & adding zinc to your oil, you shouldn't have any problems with lobes going flat.

Then I would look for an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold & a small 4-barrel carb like the Holley 450cfm carb. That is what I'm running on my stock 305. What an improvement over the original 2-barrel. I removed the original heavy cast iron intake manifold & the sloppy 2-barrel. I now have better performance & actually have better fuel economy also.

Have you gone to dual exhaust yet? That helps a lot also.

Good luck.

malibuguy

Top Fueler
Sep 29, 2003
Finksburg, Md
www.cardomain.com
Stock 929 cam would be a nice mild upgrade...later truck 305s got that cam

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!