Timing mark/timing tab

rs81Elky

Daily Driver
Jan 2, 2015
I need some help/advice from y'all who are smarter than I am. I bought an '81 El Camino with what I was told was a 350. I'm not able to read the #'s on the back of the block or at the head so right now I'm not sure what it is. I was going to set the timing and I discovered that the damper is an 8" and the timing cover is the one that has the timing tab with a short tube welded on at about 12:00 and the tab is actually hidden under the damper. so I can't see the #'s on the tab. One of the two has to be wrong. I'm thinking, can I add a tab held on by the cover bolts and add a timing tape and find TDC and orient the two 0's, or is there another way?
Thanks

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
Is your dipstick tube on the drivers or passenger side? 80-85 blocks use a diff balancer and timing tab than pre 80 blocks. I already ran into that problem before

~JM~

Weekend Racer
Aug 28, 2011
Bring it up to TDC on the compression stroke of #1 & see where you're at.

You may have to fabricate a timing pointer. Here is a simple one that a friend fabricated for one of my engines.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,599

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Some stock timing tabs are at the 12 o'clock position. You can move the timing tab to read from the side 3 o'clock . There is a few things you need to re-index your balancer. Piston stop, timing tab, and a marker. Install 8in timing tab. Remove spark plug from cylinder #1. Install piston stop. Rotate crank by hand over counter clockwise until it stops. Mark the balancer using the 0 degree mark on timing tab. Rotate crank by hand clockwise until it stops. Mark the balancer using the same 0 degree mark. Now exactly half of the distance between these two marks is TDC. Move balancer to mark the new 0 degree mark. Should be everything you need to convert over. You will want to look over the balancer to make sure it in good shape. If the balancer has slipped your new TDC mark may move. If that is the case replace the balancer.

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Forgot to mention it's best to remove the battery cables before starting this procedure. If the starter is used to crank the engine over. Major damage can and will happen with the piston stop installed. This is why you will want to move the crank by hand using hand tools.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I did exactly what 1981Regal wrote when I swapped engines, but with 1 more step.

If you want the new mark to be readable in the future, cut a small groove with a hacksaw at your mark, similar to how the original mark is cut into the damper.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts