LS vs 406

albertaborn

Daily Driver
Dec 29, 2015
I'm pulling out my 305 and looking to put something else in. I've got a clean magged 400 but need bored etc machining. Crank looks good but that's about it. I have an intake and carb and that's about it. Would be all street. Looking for 400/400. But before I get into a bunch of machining cost have been thinking of putting a used 5.3 L in. Mostly wondering basic cost. Labour for me is no biggie and I'm fussy over details and very creative for solving problems

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
I would do the LS for sure. Then pull that out and put in a big block next time around.

Gbodyfan

Weekend Racer
Aug 18, 2015
Las Vegas
I am 46 and I grew up on the BIG BLOCK Chevy. Had quite a few in my day;)
However, these days the Ls configuration has a butt load to offer!
YOU SIMPLY CANNOT GO WRONG with the modern goodies... I am truly convinced the design team for the Ls are yesteryears BIG BLOCK lovers..
Another aspect to the LS is price, availability. A junk yard 6.0, custom cam profile and a set of Ls6 243s, 799 heads with a nice set of lightweight valves will be less expensive than a comparable set up BIG BLOCK : ( any day especially when you add in power to weight and overall efficiency...
Either set up will make your ride get down...
Lastly, I love the fact that people are still giving love to the BIG BLOCK

YAV8

Amateur Racer
Oct 1, 2014
Manitiowc, Wisconsin
So you will spend the same money to have a LS try to make now where near the same power as a mild big block. If the choice was between the two listed the 400 block is the easy choice. Its cleaned and magged and the crank is good to go. Simple package to make the numbers you want is to bore it with a set of flat tops and a good cam to match the aluminum heads for compression and runner size and vehicle to put it in. Even a bone stock 400 with a cam will make the numbers your looking for. If you realy want to keep the budget down then get a set of stock vortec heads and a set of Z-28 valve springs and drill the steam holes. (10minute job) The cam choice would be something like the comp. EX-274 and being a mild flat tappet cam you will be way over those number by at least 50 HP and TQ for trump change.

albertaborn

Daily Driver
Dec 29, 2015
Hi guys thanks for all the replies it is a small block 400 that has been in storage for 20 years everything is stock but does need a board job I'm guessing by the time I bore it over and buy parts especially the heads as Vortec heads here in Alberta are pretty tough to find for cheap that I'll definitely be over a couple thousand

albertaborn

Daily Driver
Dec 29, 2015
Well I'm already leaning towards building a 406 with my small blocked that was my first idea so I'm sticking to it thanks guys for all the help although in LS has a lot of appeal so does just bolting in another small block such as a 406. My next question are just in regards to what order to do all the machining in keeping in mind I will probably do parts of it at a time

albertaborn

Daily Driver
Dec 29, 2015
I want to deck it to clean it up and tighten quench but k owing I have to bore and hone it with a torque plate, which do I do first? Bore or deck? I've been considering also running my old crank which is clean and checked and my old 5.565 rods. I'll prob try to find vortec heads.

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
Sounds like you have decided - I'm not a fan of the 400, cracked cylinders in 2 of them. Since your not going to push it too hard you should be ok.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!