t350 to t400 crossover mod

wagonmaster

Weekend Racer
Aug 30, 2004
Green Bay, WI
Changing from a Turbo 350 to a Turbo 400. My question is can I modify mine to make it work. A new one really isn't in the budget now. I thought someone said you can cut the mounting tab off and reweld it. Yes I saw the Iceman ones there nice but.......

wagonmaster

Weekend Racer
Aug 30, 2004
Green Bay, WI
Oops..... Meant to say cross MEMBER!!!!

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i have no idea, but wondered the same thing. i have a 350 g force crossmember and would hate to have to buy another if/when i change to a 400 or glide.

A

Anonymous

I played around with the factory member for a while trying to make it work with my TH400. I eventualy extended the frame rails with some box tubing and moved it back far enought to mate up with the transmission. I watched it slowly sag more and more and eventually just bit the bullet. I bought the g-force TH400 setup and let me tell ya...do it right the first time. The money buys you more than a crossmember. It's peace of mind.

CpTech

Amateur Racer
Oct 4, 2004
Hatboro, Pa.
I've got a iceman turbo 400 crossmember with the extra frame piece for sale if anyone is interested. It's one of his earlier pieces, not the new light weight design. It definitely helps
stiffen the chassis by tying the frame rails together.

Thanks

79malibusbc

Dragway Regular
Aug 21, 2007
old bridge new jersey
grizwald said:
i have no idea, but wondered the same thing. i have a 350 g force crossmember and would hate to have to buy another if/when i change to a 400 or glide.

glides th350 and 4 speeds use the same x member. th400 700r4 200r4 4l60e 4l80e ect use the frame extension

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
79malibusbc said:
grizwald said:

glides th350 and 4 speeds use the same x member. th400 700r4 200r4 4l60e 4l80e ect use the frame extension

learn something new every day! that makes my next trans choice a little easier!

wagonmaster

Weekend Racer
Aug 30, 2004
Green Bay, WI
Before this I haven't heard of a frame extension. Since these are full frame cars where do they go? I am guessing they strengthen the frame further to the rear of the car where the new mount goes. How are they held in place? Do other things needs to be redone as well? Are there instructions online somewhere that I can look at/or read? Thanks for all the help guys!

A

Anonymous

The '82 and newer cars had the 2004R as an option. This transmission required a mounting point farther back. The frame on the driver's side of these cars is boxed farther back with the corssmember mounting point back farther for the longer trannys. If you want to put one of these longer transmission's in a '78-'81 you have to extend the boxed section of the frame back farther. There are a few companies making these extensions with new crossmembers to mount the longer trannys.

Here is an example of ICEMAN's extension he sells:

G-body%20extension%20(200R4%20or%20t400)%2078-83.jpg

It bolts into the original corssmember mounting holes and then you have to drill two holes in the frame to attach it at the rear point. At the rear of the extension there are two sets of holes. One set you bolt to the frame through the new holes you drilled and the inner set are to bolt up the crossmember.

ICEMAN's Maliburacing Page: http://www.maliburacing.com/iceman/

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!