Ford 9" axle leak problem! HELP

sixtoes1313

Weekend Racer
Dec 23, 2008
Abingdon, MD
Ever since I installed my QP housing I've been having a small leak from the axle bearing seals. When I sent them my axles to have them cut down (by QP)they installed new bearings that were "correct" for my application. These bearings have no rubber seals on them (like my friends 9" does in his maro) QP techs told me to put silicone around the bearing and slide them into the housing. So I did just that. First time was when new so EVERYTHING was oil free and then cleaned anyway. Started loosing my brakes only to find the axles leaking onto my rotors on both sides. Kept driving (daily) and dealing with it. Finally decided that MAYBE i didnt seal them up right: pulled the axles out and "resealed" again. This time using ALOT of sealant designed for rear end covers ect. The black RTV stuff. Same situation. After another month of slow leaking I'm in the same darn spot. No clue how to counter this. I emailed QP weeks ago and still no response. I've heard good things about them so this seems very bizarre. Last Time I dissassembled it i could have sworn the leak was not between bearing and housing but almost...through the bearing or bearing/axle itself? Is that possible? Thanks. Really want to get this fixed as it was leaking BAD and i took the car off the road until it is fixed. Anyone have a similar problem? Thanks

wallyo

Daily Driver
Dec 20, 2009
Lake Havasu,AZ
There are 2 types of 9 inch axle seals/bearings,One seal type is for sealed bearings goes into housing before axle install ,the other type tapered bearing has seal outside bearing between axle flange and bearing.There should be some type of seal in there

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!