Please leave you advice

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
Some of you might have read this

http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=99928&p=760777#p760777

So now I am looking at building another motor. A buddy is giving me a 90's 350 short block with approx 15,000 miles on the block and rotating assembly. It needs heads and cam. I have the heads off the other motor which have a casting number of 89417368 with 327 stamped in another location. I can't find anything on the heads, they came off a crate motor block 10066036.

Should I send these heads off, have them cleaned up, and run them, or should I find different heads?

I have a new edelbrock high rise intake in the shop, and a carb I just rebuilt. I have a full gasket set sitting out there. I am planning on putting the truck back together carburated rather then with the TBI.

I am wanting to run this cam - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-K12-600-4/
or possibly one of its bigger brothers. I want something fairly choppy. The truck has a manual trans so I figure go for it.

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
Robert1320 said:
Since it is a roller block keep the roller. Several ots hyd rollers are only a little over $100 for the cam.
If it's going in a truck get get crazy on parts you need tq to more the mass.

It is going in a truck, but the truck only weighs 3600-3800 lbs, not really that much more then a Malibu.

The roller cam might not cost that much, but the roller lifters DO. Since I don't have the roller lifters, I just can't justify the cost.

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
You can get the Factory OEM Rollers Lifters, Guides & Spider Retainer cheap on Ebay. They don't have to be new as these parts can be reused.

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
SSedan64 said:
You can get the Factory OEM Rollers Lifters, Guides & Spider Retainer cheap on Ebay. They don't have to be new as these parts can be reused.

Not having much luck turning anything up. Gotta link?

A roller thumpr cam is nearly as much as a flat tappet thumper cam complete with lifters, timing, chain, and valve springs. Yes I know, it will be a gain of roughly 25HP to go with a roller, but I just don't really see how I can justify that on my budget right now.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I'm keeping a watch on eBay, thirdgen.org, fullsizechevy.com, etc. for roller lifters, still haven't bought a spider, etc. for mine yet. From the looks of things you can probably get a set of used rollers, spider/lifter keepers, retainer plate (bolts to front of the block behind the timing gear, keeps cam from pushing/moving forward) for around $100. I'm planning on the hot cam, partially because of the LSA, and also because the lift isn't too extreme (since I'm sticking with TBI heads for now). For a driver I probably wouldn't go much higher than that, I read the cam with a set of Vortecs & 1.6 rockers is capable of around 400hp, and should still have good drivability (definitely a thought with driving stick). I just noticed the 383 was stolen?!?! I completely missed this!! WTF is with people :evil: Anyway, a roller should help broaden the powerband a little since it's capable of ramp speeds a flat tappet would never dream of. For probably $70-$100 more than the price of that kit you linked you could get matched springs as well, along with a timing set.

Hot cam:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-24502586/

This may work well too:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-08-300-8/

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
Hey doob, this is just going to be a toy, not something driven all the time.

I just got off the phone with a guy that has helped me out a few times. I am going to drop the heads I have off with him, and he is going to have his machine shop show them a little love for me. He said he was familiar with the heads that I have, and it was a good choice to go with without stepping up to something aftermarket. We also spoke briefly about cam selection, and he thinks I should go with a step up from the one I am looking at. He also said he can get a wholesale price through his machine shop which makes me happy. He builds nothing but SBC engines as a hobby. He builds about 10 a week, so his machine shop gives him a killer deal on everything.

I am going to see if he happens to have any roller lifters when I go over tomorrow. Hopefully, I can have a motor together in the next couple of weeks.

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
Doober said:
See if he has 2 sets ;) I don't have the $ immediately available, but I'm currently searching the market for a set.

I can call my buddies core shop to see.

Just got off the phone. They are going to look to see what they can turn up. I asked for 2 sets, guess we will see what they turn up.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts